1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are Video Projector bulbs robust enough for a simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by ebinary, Jul 10, 2009.

1. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it used to be that projector bulbs were mechanically fragile, but are the modern ones? Apparently heat kills 90% of the modern bulbs. Have people been successful mounting a projector to the moving part of the platform?.

I have built a 6' geodesic dome for my 6DOF simulator pod, and with a video projector and a convex mirror, I can have a 60 wrapping display ;-) But so far, it doesn't move, so I don't know if it will survive.

Thanks,
    Eric
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The risk of imploding bulbs isnt that high imho. Like you said already, heat is the most wearing factor. The bulb itself does not have much mass, so there is not much mass inertia that could crack the bulb.

Besides that, I dont think that there are any special shock proved beamers on the market.

Well, you could add some rubber shock absorbers. But they probably would cause to have a jumping picture on the screen.

Btw, your project sounds intersting. I am curious to see some pics and details soon ;D

Regards
    Christian
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Would surprise me if there are any LED projectors with native resolutions higher than 800x600 available so far.
  4. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    es gibt schon einen LED Projektor mit 1920 x 1080 mit 600 Lumen.
    Anfang 2010 werden 4 weitere rauskommen.
    Bis dann
    Nima
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Link? Hersteller?

Gruss
  6. Kruemel

Kruemel New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see no problem in moving a projektor. They have the same discharge lamps as been used in moving heads (i.e. http://www.martin.com/product/product.a ... t=smartmac ). These moving heads make really fast and hard movment and the lamps last the time stated in the data sheets.
  7. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all!

Good point on the moving head lamps. I actually have a couple of those and didn't think about it.

Right now I have the projector on the floor off the far wall, reflecting off of a convex mirror near the center of the floor. Partially, it is on the floor to minimize movement. But I might consider moving the projector to the roof if the bulbs aren't motion sensitive. It gets kinda crowded on the floor, and you need to keep your knees out of the projection path.

Eric