1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial Arduino RevBurner driving a tachometer.

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by jamesdio, Oct 11, 2014.

1. cazsan

cazsan Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I finally got it working removing 12V zener diode...
    I don't know why but it seems to be embedded in my aftermarker tachometer gauge
  2. peel

peel New Member

mechanic of printing machines
    Balance:
    143Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    hello experts, please help. If I connect the tachometer according to the original instructions, it does not work. However, if I connect the GND from the Arduino to the emitter, the tachometer works correctly. Why is that so?
    Tacho: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLG2mnK
    upravene.png
  3. Etcho

Etcho New Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    @peel , you just saved my life. I've been trying everything I could try, replaced all the components, with no luck. I just did the ground trick you suggested and now it works.
  4. AVSTech

AVSTech New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hey, all!
    I tried using the provided circuit for my tachometer (Auto Gauge 8000RPM) nothing worked. Then I checked my tachometer by quick taps to +12V with the green signal wire - the hand moved. So I realized that my tachometer is switched to a positive signal. Accordingly, I had to use a PNP transistor to work, so I chose 2N3906 - as I had it in stock.
    The total circuit looks as follows:
    upload_2023-12-11_16-39-26.png

Best Regards
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Stefan Koopmans

Stefan Koopmans New Member

Balance:
    16Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @AVSTech, After a week of fiddling around without a multimeter I had no way to understand why my Tacho was not working properly. Your explanation got me on the right path though. I could also get the needle to move by tapping the green wire to 12V. I searched around my old pile of electronics boards to find a suitable PNP transistor and used your diagram as a reference. It also happens to be a very small TO-92 transistor, even weaker than yours. I also used a very small glass zener diode and I don't even know it's specs, can't read it. Anyway it finally works! Thanks a lot! Signed up here specifically to make this post :)
    • Like Like x 2