1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

AMC1280USB Motion Simulator Controller

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by Thanos, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Gilberto Marques

Gilberto Marques New Member

Balance:
    - 513Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @Thanos and @hexpod I am thinking of buying an equipment AMC1280USB Motion Simulator Controller,
    but I need to know if this card works with my frequency inverters.

I have 3 WEG Cfw08 frequency inverters, could I switch over to Cfw10 and use the same configuration and parameters?
  2. Gabor Pittner

Gabor Pittner Active Member

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Is there anybody here who can use AMC1280 board with sabertooth without issues? Im the only one who fail?
  3. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz

Balance:
    7,097Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  4. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF

Its about the old green AMC board. The new board with the new recommended 3.5 firmware is totaly different.
    For example there is no way to chose data format anymore etc...
    @hexpod you are the only one who always try to help me. Im really appreciated for that, but unfortunately, there is no support from Thanos at all. No tutorial, no wiring diagram, no answer my emails, or at this topic. So I'd like to know if there is a member who use that board with sabertooth, maybe I give another chance to try...

Thank you @hexpod so much all your effort.
  5. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I may be incorrect but it seems more fail initally than succeed so you're probably in the majority.

If @SeatTime can find the time maybe he can assists you. I believe he uses both versions at present and Thanos support seems to come only when he doesn't have better things to do.
  6. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    no, we are in the same boat...
  7. Gabor Pittner

Balance:
    1,294Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thank you Guys, Last summer I started to design my 6DOF platform with 24V DC wormgear motors and sabertooth controllers. Then I decided to use Thanos board because I thought that is the best one. The end of last year I failed after upgrade the recommended firmware 3.5 and everithing went wrong, even when I rolled back FW2.4 too.
    So I changed my mind and build up with arduinos using SMC3-SPS from @BlazinH and @Pit @RufusDufus .
    Now my platform works fine, and absolutely reliable. Thank you for it.
    Im very sorry about hexpod interface from @hexpod because that would be good to use... :( But Im very excited about FlyPT interface from @pmvcda
    @SeatTime is the one who can use this board with sabertooth, but he told me some extra information in PM.
    So, now Im gonna give it up. It was a costly mistake
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @Gabor Pittner , have to agree as I find myself in the same boat at the moment , Don't really want to give up on the AMC interface cos it does show so much promise . Ha a Tip about using the * bit PWM out instead of 12 Bit with the V3.5 Firmware so Going to have a try at that and post the result of that test one way or other .

I wanted to show that the Encoder2Pos and AMC128USB & Sabertooth Combination was a viable Option for us ^DOF Builders so even though the encoder option can be implemented . i cant verify or feel safe with the platform operation till I get past this Firmware fix .....

Like you I am now looking at @pmcvda FlyPT hexpod utility to go with the Ards SMC setup .

Frustrating thing was I was almost there and quite happy with the Baarebones AMC operation during testing until I did the V3.5 update Grrrrrrrrr.. grrr and more Grrrrr ( so close yet now so far )

So Have to say Come on @ Thanos you have potentially a great product for us existing owners, and the new guys , Some feedback as to why your on missing list would put a few minds at rest at least , it works but the last firmware update put the proverbial spanner in the works ! i'll be first to say Sorry if due to Work ,personal issues or holidays are keeping you out of the loop but as we don't know why your not answering, its not knowing that creates this Anxiety. So least let us know or advise us how to get back to the working Firmware xx. 7a (silly as it seems just Re-downloading that firmware did not gets us back to working 12Bit Output ,! )

Sorry to take up ur Post @Gabor Pittner will add this to an e-mail im sending to Thanos as well Cheers and by the way the FlyPt hexpod utility seems to be ideal .. Again if this worked with AMC then theres even more reason for @ Thanos to sort this firmware issue out for us users .

LOL sometin=me ya gotta Vent the frustration a bit without iy being taken the wrong way
  9. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Guys well it seems to be a communications overlap and Thanos has added an updated video on you tube to explain the correct setup and use of the AMC for Sabertooths I have not watched it all yet and as it was posted 16 hours ago I thought in fairness he has at least reacted to our concerns , I may well have missed where he posted that this video was made ..so Gotta apologise re comments about going missing ... I will watch the video and try the suggested methodology ... one thing that was apparent form my quick glimse is that he uses the 16 Digital IO card as well ( Luckily I have this card as well) so Fingers crossed guys also noted that he mentioned the use of the 8bit PWM Output option instead of the 12Bit so watch this space
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  10. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Has he fixed the PID?
  11. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @SeatTime would have loved to have been able to say yes But for me the issue remains ..

Well its rubbish news on my part Grrrrr , Decided to implement the Advice in the latest AMC video for sabertooth control , So ding ding round X something , off I went ,I believe I have it all connected up as it should be , No Shorts , No solder Bridges , Tracks cut as specified Digital PCB connected to AMC128USB and ARRRRGGGHHHH still same issue just now its moved to the Digital I/O card Output , I really cant believe im this hamfisted in so far as , that I cant get this working ....Max Volts at OutPut Pins with known working pot still still 3.180V and mid point ( ref Pot position sees Voltage at 1.176 ) going down to 0V with pot set at minimum. using firmware 3.5 ..

still have V3.5 firmware loaded to AMC and even though im deaf and there are no captions on the tutorial video, i believe i have followed the guide as best possible , and 1st thing that comes apparent is with the DVM connected to the Output of the digital I/O card is that the voltage is still wrong i.e Not at 2.5V where I'd expect it to be for Mid Pot setting of circa 5K on a 10K pot ..

Was on a High last night after getting communication with my Actuator and FlyPt Interface , so thought id give this AMC fix a try ... ( Bought back down to earth again Grrrr )

Have to ask Has anyone else tried following the new Video for AMC sabertooth setup ? can anyone say if Thanos mentioned the Firmware applicable to this video in case I missed that Please .

My Understanding of the process was
    load Firmware V3,5
    Fit 10K Pot to AMC analog Input (LHS of Interface)
    AMC dip switches 1=on , 2-4= off
    Connect Digittal I.O card to AMC Interface ( Lower RHS of AMC)
    Cut track Jumpers as indicated in Video
    Check for Shorts etc
    Connect DVM to Pins designated in Video
    Set POT analog Input Test 10K Pot to approx. mid point ( circa 5k Ohms )
    Plug in USB to AMC
    Check Voltage at Analog out on Digital I/O card
    Adjust Pot to observe Voltage range change between 0 and 5 V ish
    Depress Control Cursor Keys and Observe Analog Out Voltage change accordingly
    If it does this the JOB Done

If it does What mine Does as mentioned above ( PULL HAIR OUT NOW )
  12. hexpod

Balance:
    7,097Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    I understand the hassle @wannabeaflyer2 .
    I would pack your AMC and your 3 Sabertooths and send it to @Thanos asking to do a test, precisely with this hardware combination.
    I believe that's the only option to really find out where is the troublemaker.

Best
  13. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So, to be clear, is your only issue 'voltage output does not reach 5 V?
  14. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Should not need a Sabertooth to just check the voltage out of the AMC?...It either matches the analog interface requirements of the Sabertooth or it doesn't.
  15. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Send Sabertooths? No way. Since AMC controls them with 0 - 5v it simple to see if its outputting correctly without them. Furthermore when you can't get verbal support in a timely fashion why would someone expect to get their stuff back anytime soon if at all. Keep Sabertooths and send AMC. If you don't get it back no loss and you will still have your sabertooths to use with another option.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  16. hexpod

Balance:
    7,097Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    I assume you followed this procedure:

Did you tried to apply different PID?

What happens with the voltage if you put the P at 0?
  17. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    How many times did get a reply ?? I will let you guess :)

I've been in the same boat since the kickstarter release.

There is no benefit now to run this board over using Ards and Sabertooths with SCM3 and FlyPT's Interface , easier to wire, easier to setup, easier to use, easier to stop it from killing you or your actuators. And a whole lot cheaper
  18. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Guys , Sorry if I seemed to have stirred up a hornets nest but really its just born of frustration, Mainly as I can see im so close with this , Got a reply From Thanos and he is indeed Busy and juggling as we do in life but he is also looking at this issue , there is now a new Firmware to update and as mentioned, being Deaf I miss a lot of info in any youtube tutorials that aren't captioned so that wee issue itself sortta leads to mistakes on my part..

Ok the Board was working so the basics are there , The update firmware palaver seemed to create this issue im banging on about @ Seatime gave me the Heads up about using the 8Bit Output and it seems Thanos also recommends This as well versions .. That wont be an issue when I get output to work so im cool with that ..

In all my dealings with this interface Both the Old green and new Red Barebones, I assumed ( yep we all know what that means :) ) that the analogue out should swing between 0 to 5V ( or very close to those Numbers.) also the sabertooths Uni direction control signals means 2.5V is effectively Motor OFF .

I have to admit I was not aware of being able to adjust this range , on my working setups it did just that 0 - 2.5 - 5V so @seatime the reason for my not trusting this function at the moment is that we all know these actuators are Bloody lethal and need respect , so im using the DVM to check the signals Before Committing to using the test actuator again.

If its a case that during trying to get this working I have messed up that analogue output voltage setting , should not any new firmware update cause things to revert to say Factory setting as it Were ? ..

LOL @SilentChill Hmmmmm Limit switches applied ? Really not sure , But seems the KLM kill switch is now sorted ref The Above mentioned video

Gonna Go Upload the new Firmware guys so will keep ya'll posted

Cheers Crew
  19. hexpod

Balance:
    7,097Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    @SilentChill ,

Just wanted to point that although the security of having the limit switches is always a good option, once the kinematic software works correctly and accuratey, the software side should insure the proper motion and its limitations.
    I am running my AMC rig without switches since years without issues.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well That's a major FFS moment if ever there was one ... OK something @SeatTime mentioned along with some info from Thanos made me look at my Default settings ..

Ok heres what I noticed that
    (a) no matter what Pot I used or Hall effect sensor I connected the max analogue output voltage was 3.180 V or there abouts ..

part of some info Thanos sent
    "To get the max voltage range out, set the max motor speed to 100%...
    Don't use the 12bit outputs... Use 8bit DAC analog output on the 6DOF ext board... "

(b) So with that in mind I changed the Values as mentioned ( No Change at Analogue out .. But then I went to the Start Pos Paramter and decided to try that .... Fooooookiiiiin Hell ....... The Output voltage raised to 4.9V What the ???

Ok Progress he thinks ... anywasy I had that value set at 32% to help climb into the Sim and noted that the voltage was 3.18 V at analoge out pins ...when I change the value to 50-53 % then the output Voltage climbed to 4.9V ..

did several checks and it seemed OK Phewwwww ... That was still Firmware 3.5..

I updloaded the new Firmware V3.5 1b and again the same effect ...... Hhhmmmmm ( possible Eureka Moment who knows )

Have fed my findings back to Thanos as it may be that area in the program may have gotten corrupted, I cant say if that's the soloution yet or a self inflicted red hearing but need someone else to prove or dis[prove this scenario as confirmation or debunk that theory

had to post this for information only but hope I've not jumped the gun again ,as im eager to crack on with these tests before I settle on the final Overall control system

so @Gabor Pittner and @SeatTime seems we had the same issue sort of, so could I ask you guys and any other user with this barebones interface to try this for me , test just need usb to supply to AMC128 Interface , 1 x 10K pot for analogue input and dvm connected as shown in Video to Monitor the Voltage when the pots are set to middle Position .. note this voltage and then see if the range changes when the Start Position ( in the menu options ) is changed , does the 8bit output voltage increase . Decrease as parameter is changed ?..
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019