1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Alternative PSU for 12 or 24V ...

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by George Amemiya, Oct 31, 2019.

1. George Amemiya

George Amemiya New Member

Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi everyone, I'm working on my 6dof project using 24VDC motors from China. They're a little big, 1500W, so @24V it's about 63A each, times 6 o_O. So instead of using 06 individual 24V (1500W) PSUs, I had 2 ideas:
    1. Use 03 24V truck batteries, each of them to feed 2 motors, and to keep the batteries from draining, using 01 27V truck alternator to keep them up. The alternator only needs a little 110 or 220VAC 1000-1500rpm motor to keep the alternator running and therefore keeping the batteries to run the motors. (Of course the same principle could be applied to 12VDC)
    2. Use 02 wind turbine generators as this one to run the motors. I was thinking of using the same principle as the alternator and run the turbine with another AC motor instead of having it assemble and wait for some wind.

So, what do you think ? Would it work ? This is a basic idea, so any feedback or comments will be greatly appreciated.
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I use a solar array and two deep cycle 110AmpHr batteries to power my DC rig, works perfectly and is also able to power parts of my house via a Inverter normally and when power is cut in a storm etc(has already been used for emergency power since it was installed). Unfortunately not a cheap setup..(note only one battery shown in old photo - I did later get another on special from the same supplier - they are not cheap :eek:). All that wind generator would be good for is to charge the batteries.

Solar Panels.jpg

OffGrid Solar Equipment Rack.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  3. George Amemiya

George Amemiya New Member

Balance:
    294Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks for the reply, would have to study a bit more on that wind generator, how fast can they charge the batteries, or if the batteries will be depleted first. The point is to use something that probably at the beginning will be a little expensive, but cheap at the end, if you know what I mean. Thanks for sharing !