1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Advice on Pre-Load springs needed

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ebinary, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone experimented with adding springs to actuators? I'm not sure if it would help in the 2DOF/3DOF world, but in the 6DOF case - where all the weight is directly on the actuators - it seems like it could really make a huge difference.

I figure if I can appropriately add a spring that adds about 75lbs of life to each actuator, I can offset the platform weight and an average rider's weight. That gives lots more headroom, plus its easier on the actuators.

Has anyone done this before? I can't find any examples in my searching.

Eric

P.S. Check out the videos of my 6DOF's maiden voyage in the video area.
  2. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Re: Advice on Pre-Load springs

Better solution is gas spring (its similalry like main leg in office chair), they are chep and strong. They have better force characteristic than normal spring ( http://www.gas-springs.net/images/locka ... spring.gif ). Also you can use pnemumatic cylinder with big air tank but it would be more expensive.
  3. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Advice on Pre-Load springs

Great idea! They move fast right? How durable (every gas spring I've encountered on pop-top campers has worn out pretty quickly, but maybe because it is stored compressed)?

Anyone know a good USA source?

Thanks! Eric
  4. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There are two types, industrial and for home use. For home use they have warant 50 000 strokes and max speed around 300-400 mm/s but they are realy cheap. Industrial are often use in CNC machines (also air cylinders) so they last longer.