1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

add on idea for motion software

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by sharky, May 1, 2008.

1. sharky

sharky New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi all!
    first of all i didnt know which software is doing what so instead of posting this in the wrong secion i post it here...

as probably all of you know there is a direct relation between sound and vibration. if you have a smooth sufrace cliding on a other one, both theorically totally smooth there would be no sound at all.. a different car with different engines produce also different vibrations and differend sounds. based on this principle last summer i have built this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEB5QYi7tbk

i have taken a woofer, removed the membran and attached a weight to it. what this does is recreating the vibration of whatever youre riding almost perfectly. so basically all yu have to do is to set your ingame music to 0, and effects to max. the runble of the motor will be felt in the chair perfectly, the change of gears, the crashes and also teh weapons if you play shooter games. now i am buildin a 1DOF motion simulator by attaching a 500 W motor to the chair in the clip. i have to remove the speaker because ther eis not enough room for both. but i think it would be nice to have the software which controls the ff motion to check also the sound output (if enabled) and send that too to the control board. it would work much better then mine and give you a perfect feeling of beeing inside the car. since the sound you hear is actually a perfect replica of the vibrations that that specific machien would have in reality (without dampers)

the best resutl is on no limits coaster simulator!

let me know what you think.. :)

regards

igor
  2. sharky

sharky New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    question for thanos:

would it be difficult to implement it at a hardware level, where you simply wire up the audio jack and it converts the sound into an additional motion toghether with the output of the x-sim software? basically to use the software for motion, crashes and similar, and to use audio for vibration..

regards

igor
  3. sharky

sharky New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    noone? not even a nahhhhhh bad idea? :?
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its a nice idea but it will have to work on a hardware level only.

I could input audio signals (through a simple amplifier circuit) to an unused ADC port of my AMC and mix its high-pass filtered signal to oscillate the Y-axis motion channel but I don't know how much effect will have on the DC motors we use... We already mix heave motion into Y-axis after all!!

Maybe later (when get some free time) design such sound addon module just for fun...

Regards, Thanos
  5. sharky

sharky New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi guys!

sorry for posting late, was busy these days.

nice thanos! i am shure i will build it too if you share teh scheme.. :)

just one question:

why hipass filter and not lowpass filter? low frequencies should be easier to manage for the engine and much cooler to feel on the sim.. on my thingy on the clip i attached it to the woofer output of the amply...

tronic: yeah more or less. the advantage the speaker and the simulator have against the motors, is that a spinning motor does not represent the real vibrations. so you feel a vibration but the feeling your head has is cool but not the correct one.. with a speaker or a simualtor where you control the speed and the directionyou have a absolutely unbeliveable feeling.
    personally i never tried a simulator before.. i just tried my own rig and a buttshaker with motor.. i preferred the speaker. but i have no idea on how much the force feedback can mimic the engine vbrations.after all my solution does not implement motion.. its just vibration. but i am waiting for my boards to arrive so ill build my own very soon and then let you know.. :)

thnx for your answers

igor