1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question AASD15a Power

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Farlex, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Farlex

Farlex New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi.

This is my first post. And before asking I will just say thanks for letting me join in in this
    Incredible forum.

I just bought a AASD15a servo driver to do some tests for my upcoming build.
    And in the manual it says that it can handle 1 ore 3 phases 220v
    I live in Denmark and we have 240 v on each phase i´m sure that it can handle that.
    But the question is when you connect 3 phases of each 240 volt and you measure over 2 phases it will give you 400 volt can the controller handle that ?
    Ore do i have to make some sort of step down so the volt will be lowered ?

The Sim I´m building is a 6 Dof.
    Whit a Thanos controller.
    And the reason that i Would like to go 3 phase is that on a single phase i only got 2400 watt.
    So its way to close to the limit The Sim itself and that's without the computer and surround system.
  2. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF

No, don't wire them 400v!! Wire 220v single phase to each, but you can share the 3phases (220v each phase) between the servos to lessen the load on each phase, say by wiring two servos per phase if you are doing a 6DOF for example.

3. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If the previous video looks too complicated to follow, see this video for a much simpler wiring:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Farlex

Farlex New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi. Thanos.
    Thanks for the quick reply for my question.
    Then I´ll use 1 phase for 3 servos x2 and 1 for computer, monitors and surround.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    dont mixup with the phase!just follow the order and wiring Thanos board and video you already prepared.:thumbs
  6. Farlex

Farlex New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi. Hooshang.
    I can only see the last of the videos that Thanos linked to. Because of a case of Coda and Youtube are fighting price paid to the artist of the Songs in the videos.

But i get not to connect them with 3 phases so they will be connected to 400v whit a floating zero.
    I will connect 3 servos to phase 1 and 3 to phase 2 with a normal Null as negative.

But were in the world will you get 220v with 3 phases is it in the states were there is only 110v on each phase ?
  7. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Each servo drive needs 220v single phase, with three wires Hot-Neutral-Ground. If you are not sure how to wire it, please ask a certified electrician to help you. Its dangerous to mix cables in multi phase systems...
  8. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    all you need as power is a single phase 220-240 like you have in your country,if you do wiring correctly, the rest done by drivers!
  9. Farlex

Farlex New Member

Balance:
    95Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yes i know it´s dangerous to mix up the wires.
    The only thing that got me confused was that the driver has both 1 and 3 phase input.
    And as described in the manual that it can´t handle 400 volt when connected to 3 phase as a normal power socket whit 3 phase will supply when connecting 3x240 volt and no null.

But I´ll stick to 1 phase for 3 controllers with Null and ground and use another phase for the next 3.

And yes all components will be grounded But i took that for granted.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Looking forward to start my tread om my build so that you all can follow the progress.