1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DoF VR Flight Pit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Historiker, Feb 18, 2019.

1. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I have not noticed any slop.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I wanted a way to control both my driving simpit and my flying simpit on one panel so I created a mission control pedestal :)

One of these days I will complete the top plate with engraved panels, etc. Still working out how, exactly, I want that to look.

The power supplies are used by both simpits so I use 200 amp solenoids to switch which pit gets power. I doubt that I will ever have to have both running at the same time. Each simpit is fed DC power via 8 gauge wire.

I have individual power switches for the USB hubs on each simpit.

The power supplies and 2 @ 4x100 amplifiers are mounted below the simulated wind power supply and Arduino controller/MM driver.

Forgot to take a picture of the articulated arm that moves the monitor, fans and VR headset between the two simpits. I will get a picture up later. I created the arm with rectangular steel pipe and super heavy duty hinges from a farm supply store. It is suspended from the ceiling.

IMG_20190621_184201611.jpg

IMG_20190621_184156253.jpg

IMG_20190621_184143936.jpg

IMG_20190621_184127081.jpg

IMG_20190621_184113640.jpg

IMG_20190621_184105413.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Great idea, would love to have enough room for 2 rings!
  4. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks buddy! :)
  5. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    The articulated arm for the monitor and fans. Might paint the fan housings one of these days as the white sticks out but then again I might not. I never know...

Rethinking the fabric covering the arm as well. No real reason to cover it other than I thought it might look good but unless I fasten it down it will always unravel when I move it back and forth.

The monitor sits a bit low for the driving simpit right now as I have not yet redone the 3DoF into another 6DoF (on my list of things to do next month).

IMG_20190621_193056160.jpg IMG_20190621_193105793.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have too many games.....

Went down to the flight pit last night and fired it up. Sat there for an hour trying to decide which of the many games to play.....was also shooting the breeze with friends of course....first world problems....ok...now I feel guilty.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Self Isolation means a great deal more time in the simpit. Everything is still functioning according to specs. (yes, since I built this it does indeed surprise me) :)
    • Like Like x 1