1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

News 6DOF stewart platform with linear actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SteveH, May 30, 2021.

1. SteveH

SteveH New Member Gold Contributor

Retired electronics/programming design engineer
    Balance:
    59Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi all,

I'm starting this new thread to document a new design and build of a diy 6 dof stewart platform (after several false starts over a period of nearly 25 years), hopefully I'll have the time now I am retired to get this one completed.

I'll be using linear actuators so I can get the range and power - looking at 1g with about a 150-200kg platform.
    Not sure type of drive motor servo/stepper/dc , I can design for all types, just depends on cost/performance (would prefer servo - prob £300-400 a leg). Will probably be using a 2020 ballscrew to get the stiffness and speed. I did make a prototype 650mm stroke actuator using a 2020 ballscrew with a 20nm side mount 3 phase servo, this could throw a 55kg lead weight up and down full stroke as if it wasn't there !

Currently got a model in my office using small steppers and trapezoidal leadscrews (very noisy !) to model my control software.

Will be designing and building all my own hardware (I've finally got a major workshop !) will be using SimTools with Xsimulator plugins to run it (no brainer for those, at the price and performance it's not even worth thinking about making a program)

Apologies if my posting doesn't yet conform to forum rules, I'll learn as I go along and I hope someone will quietly point out anything wrong.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. SteveH

Balance:
    59Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Follow on from last post - I've rejigged a program I wrote to calculate/visualize machine sizes, leg positions and forces for a linear stewart platform, will take several more days before I can package it a single small exe file but can post it as a zip file that has all the dependencies for now rather than using github etc if forum rules allow but it is about 24mb (forum moderators ?)
  3. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Looks like you have got everything covered and you are building a nice sim

Probably best to upload the program to github / cloud, and post a link to it.

What did you do before you retired?
  4. SteveH

Balance:
    59Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Gadget999,
    I used to be a qualified senior electronics design engineer and computer programmer in my younger days.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. andres50

andres50 simulador de vuelo (flight simulator 2020)

mecanico
    Balance:
    - 254Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi steveh, the actuators that you have that speed in inches second can go out and back.
  6. SteveH

Balance:
    59Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just created a github listing for my calculator - look for https://github.com/SteveH-awf/6dof-stewart-platform/tree/Calculator. Note, this is obviously a work in progress and just uses SI units for now.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Me too :)
  8. SteveH

Balance:
    59Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  9. SteveH

Balance:
    59Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just a follow up on my build progress...

Slow progress last year due to persons/pets expiring, the cold weather this time of year doesn't help either.

Ended up using three phase 20 Nm servo drives (china) with 20 mm ballscrews and 10 mm pitch - total overkill, never even get warm. Updated my driver hardware several times, latest one uses individual custom pcbs's STM32F401 cpu's and usb hid interfaces for each leg (now very fast and smooth). Rebuilt the base and platform frames a few times but everything running pretty much ok (could do with bolting to the floor !) just have to tune the variables in simtools to get a decent flight (nasty kick in yaw). I've attached a few pics to show progress and when the weather warms up enough to stay in the workshop more than a few minutes at a time I'll post a video of it operating.

Attached Files: