1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

6DOF parts back from paint!

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by WalkerYYJ, Nov 21, 2019.

1. WalkerYYJ

WalkerYYJ New Member

Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Have had a new build in the "planning" stage for quite a while, the main structural parts got back from paint today so now starting the build.
    It's a bit of a different approach so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Disclosure: This is just a tech demonstrator for now, still quite a way's from a commercial product.

20191117_121911.jpg
    Base plate after tapping

20191120_101555.jpg
    Picked up from powder-coaters

20191112_162350.jpg
    Motors ready for electronics

20191120_164857.jpg
    Under construction.....
    • Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. Ads Master

Ads Master

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,074Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,622 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Well the motors to move the rig certainly look innovative, good luck :thumbs.
  4. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    6,953Coins
    Ratings:
    +934 / 12 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Linear motors?
    Something I looked before making my rig.
    But going that way, I would still be in the actuator build fase making coils.

Good luck with the project! Those are really fast. Are they strong enough?
  5. WalkerYYJ

WalkerYYJ New Member

Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! @pmvcda RE force output, that's the hope, We are hoping to be able to move a ~250lbs load for the demonstrator. It's using a combination of linear motors and pneumatics (to offset "empty" weight.) One of the drawbacks of linear motors is that they burn power holding a load at rest, so the concept is to use the pnumatics to offset the weight of the platform (and the rider) to a neutral point and then use the linear motors for actually moving things about.

Now of course it remains to be seen just how well this will work!

A few more pics from this week:

20191202_165426.jpg 20191202_165506.jpg Never build something without RGB.....

20191205_114840.jpg Base assembled without legs.

20191205_140650.jpg Legs going on

20191205_141333.jpg We built a thing...

20191205_185648.jpg
    Now.... Does it work.....?
    • Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    6,953Coins
    Ratings:
    +934 / 12 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Video!

Edit:
    What kind of resolution do you expect?
    How many bits for positioning on the firmware/controller?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  7. WalkerYYJ

WalkerYYJ New Member

Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

We still have to get all the PIDs dialed in but positional accuracy after filtering should be somewhere in the neighborhood of ±7μm.

Hoping to get a decent video out sometime next week :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WalkerYYJ

WalkerYYJ New Member

Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Still lots of tuning to go, but she moves!

20191211_154931.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019 at 09:35
  9. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    446Coins
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Walker YYZ

I am quite impressed by your work!! Are you doing this private? or maybe in a university or commercially in a company?

Second question: What you are doing: is it more rocket science or is it doable DIY?

Will you share the details of your work?

Wish you good luck for your project!
    Wickie
  10. WalkerYYJ

WalkerYYJ New Member

Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Hey Peter, Thanks!

Were doing this project basically as an experiment of a possible application of linear motors that our company designs/builds. Most of our business is custom OEM stuff, so something cool to demonstrate their capability was the idea here.

As for the DIY"ness" of this, there are some pretty cleaver people out there, but I think for a single person trying to do this from scratch would take quite a bit.

Happy to share on the rest of it however!

As mentioned the motors are ours, they are a "sized up" version of a sort of standard design we have, however in the long run I suspect something a bit larger would be ideal. Our motors are designed with fully integrated drivers (they live on the motors themselves), so there are no external/3rd party motor controllers being used here. The motors are running over RS485 back to our controller.
    The motors are 24V and are powered directly off of a LiFePO4 power pack. In this case we are actually running each individual motor through a pretty high accuracy bi-directional current shunt/power distribution rail. In theory we should be able to do some power recapture during certain braking movements, so we wanted to be able to have a way to capture some data on just how much juice we may be able to put back into the battery bank.

The mechanicals are all pretty simple COTS parts from McMaster and a bunch of waterjet plate. Not quite as elegant as some other designs, but again at this point its just a development platform/tech demonstrator.

It should be pretty fast when its done, both with respects to motor acceleration, but also system latency. This will allow it to also run some pretty high frequency vibrations (Khz range) layered on-top of any gross movements that may be commanded, so should be no need for a but kicker. Its also pretty quiet.
  11. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Balance:
    27,074Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,622 / 29 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I expect a single 'upscaled' linear motor would have already been load/speed tested before building more and moving the project on. Exciting.. Look forward to see it in action.