1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6dof new project, question about motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by dualin, Dec 26, 2013.

1. dualin

dualin Member

Balance:
    - 41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi, I'm thinking about make a new project. I want to make a 6dof sim, and I'm looking for a cheap motor, that fit the minimum requeriments for this project.

I've found a very cheap motors (about 40€/ud) with this specs.

Rated voltage: 24 V DC
    Idling speed: 48 rpm
    Rated torque: 16 Nm

I've the specs table too:

[​IMG]

I think that the motor has about 200w (216w 16 Nm 9A 24V in the table), but I'm not sure.

I don't know if that motors are enough for a 6dof project, but I think that it's possible.

What do you think?

Can I start my project with 6 of that motors or I need to find a better ones? Which one? Why?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

Best regards
    Dualin

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk
  2. prilad

prilad Well-Known Member SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Look. It's easy to calculate.
    16 Nm = 1.6 Kgm (approximately). It mean if motor's lever is 10 cm (0.1m), the max weight for one motor will be 16 kg (1.6 Kgm/0.1m). And max weight for six motors will be 16*6 = 96 Kg.
    You can increase this value twice if reduce lever's length to 5 cm (max movement distance = 10 cm), but I think it's very small for 6-dof project.

Enough it or not enough you can answer by yourself.

Regards,
    Ale
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dualin

dualin Member

Balance:
    - 41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks Ale for your fast answer. I've made the same calculations, with this result:
    Max weight of the driver: 100 kg.
    Weight of the cockpit, chassis, monitor, wheel, etc... 50 kg.
    Then I can put a max length of the lever of 6,5 cm. it's that length enough???
    And, for example, one day uses the sim a person of 120 kg. what will happen, the sim won't work or simply the speed will be reduced??

As I can see in the table, if i use the torque of 16 Nm, the speed will be btw 35-45 rpm, it's enough?? Which it's the recommend minimum of the speed???

Thanks
    Dualin

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi, Dualin.

I urge you (and everyone) is critical of the advices (even mine).;) Always try to form your own opinion based on your experience.

Our "easy calculations" gave us (approximately) the MAX possible weights for this motors. I think it will be better if platform+gamer weight will 25% lower.
    And I think that 6.5*2 = 13 sm may be enough, and 35-45 rpm may be enough for AVIA-sim and not enough for CAR-sim.

But I recommend to you find on YOUTUBE 6-dof videos and try to estimate real movement speed and distance.

Regards,
    Ale
  5. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    I've got the impression, the curve above is for 12 V. Can you doble-ckeck?
  6. dualin

dualin Member

Balance:
    - 41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi, I think that the curve above is for 24v. Why do you think that it's for 12v?

Regards
    Dualin

7. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi @dualin
    I was trying to replicate your curves and calculate the efficiency curve and power output, stall torque, stall current, etc. And replicating your curves is only possible if I calculate with 12 V.
    However, the voltage only slightly influences the max torque of a motor; increasing the voltage mainly reduces the max current (by 2x).

You probably want to try the Fly Elise Motion Platform Designer Software to do some basic calculations for your motors.
    The basic data required for motor selection are:
    • required torque M → ? Nm
    • required spee n → ? RPM
    • supply voltage U → 24 V in your case
    • max current I → ? A

For the power the motor has to deliver calculate POUT = M * n * π /30 /1000
    Select now a motor that has a nominal power output 2x the value you calculated.
    (Because a typical efficiency of ~50% you will need a motor that consumes about 4x your calculated POUT!)
    The required speed [n] has to be higher than half the no-load speed [n0] and the load torque [M] has to be less than half the stall torque [MH]

Based on my calculation the stall torque will be about 60 Nm → you can load your motor with up to 30 Nm @ 24 RPM

@prilad already has given you a rough estimate for the performance you can expect. I have my doubts that these motors will be enough for a decent Stewart platform.
  8. dualin

dualin Member

Balance:
    - 41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks a lot, I'll try that software and I'll look for better motors.

What kind of motors do you think that is the best for a 6dof sim?. Winch (powerfull and noisy), scooter motors (powerfull but speed very high, need a gear). Other type? I'm looking for a good and cheap motor, jeje.

Best regards
    Dualin

9. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Just too add most 6dof units use speeds around 14 - 35rpm for motor control the only ones that do a decent movement is when they drive it with lineer actuators capable of reaching the magical 1000mm/s speeds where true G forces will be felt.

Hell I use 180 - 160 rpm on dc motors and that computes to about 700mm/s and this is just nice to be running in a race sim, vibration can be that wild you have problems focusing your eyes.

Has anyone considered using gearing to increase the avail torque from the motor.
    and yes @value1 stall current for the motors is what i work in, its fairly important, as in this is the torque range that happens when you sim changes direction or holds in weight position. if the motors wont produce enough the desired movement is very poor.

Sorry my 2 cents.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dualin

dualin Member

Balance:
    - 41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks eaorobbie, what motors are you using? What motors give you 160-180 rpm with good torque?
    I'm thinking to use scooter motors that have 400-500 w of power and 400 rpm, but I don't know the value of the torque, but that motors can be used with a 4:1 gear to reduce the speed and go up the torque.

Regards
    Dualin

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. dualin

dualin Member

Balance:
    - 41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks a lot Ale, and one question more. You said that you have 2 of them. How much money did cost to you? I can't see the price in the web. That motor is very interesting.

Best regards
    Dualin

13. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Like Like x 1