1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DOF Inward Angled Actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by thefost, Apr 9, 2020.

1. thefost

thefost Member

Balance:
    242Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I am considering an idea for my upcoming 6DOF project that I wanted to run by the experts. I was wondering what you thought of designing a 6DOF rig so that the actuators are angled inward instead of outward. Here's an example Dureiken modeled:

unknown5.png

I see there being a few advantages to this type of design:

1) The pedal platform extension and top platform enclosure are less likely to come into contact with the actuators. This means you can achieve much steeper angles with very few limits.

2) The total space needed for this design should be about the same or even a little less than a hexapod because the top platform can never extend past the dimensions of the bottom hexagon (this would cause a singularity = the rig would collapse).

3) The top platform will be much smaller, lighter, and more stable.

So clearly the downside is the bottom of the platform will be larger, but overall the size isn't too bad thanks to the very compact foldback actuators I'll be using. My biggest concern is that this design may be more likely to cause a singularity if there is a power outage, but I have no experience with this and maybe I can design safeguards.

I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions before I attempt this type of design. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    some sims are built this way - it will be quite stable