1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6-DOF Stewart Platform to be controlled in one month!!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by aliaero, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good point.
    BTW i found when i try find more info about this book another great site (who would say its google :D )
    http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks%3A ... edat+knihy you can find there more (inluded previous book) books.
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Wuhh, $259.00 but FREE SHIPPING :)
  3. aliaero

aliaero New Member

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need some help in Programmable math plugin can anybody help me on Skype
    or Msn
    Regards
    Ali
  4. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi i have wride a exemple profil for your 6 dof.now i must have the correct size from your sim
    than we can find the right percents for x and y axis.in this profil the size is only valued from your picture.

Attached Files:

5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    CAUTION!

The actuators in a Stewart-platform type 6DOF system are dependant from each other.
    The calculation for each actuator lenght in dependance to the other acutators requires an equation system with plenty of variables.
    I doubt that this can be achieved within a rn2 profile file.
    I dont know what Nima tinkered together in this file, but in case he did not use the Stewart algorithm, you may overstress your acutators (as they will work against each other), and it wont work as well.

@Nima
    Please explain how you did this profile!
    Which are the calculations you did use?
    Did you use the Stewart Algorithm?

@Ali
    You may check out Robert' 6DOF master software, which is X-Sim compatible, and/or ask him for support. I guess he will help, if you asked nicely :cheers:

Regards
  6. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    ich schreibe jetzt mal in deutsch weil das in englisch echt ein problem ist mich richtig auszudrücken.ich habe mir den stewart algerithmus nicht angesehen aber ich kann dir das profil
    gerne mal erklären.
    also in dem profil habe ich mit copy and combiene die richtung x (links rechts)
    y (vor und zurück kippen) z (hoch und runter) und yaw (drehen) isoliert.
    ich fange mal mit x an.in der x bewegung arbeiten axe 3 und 4 zu 100 %
    axe 1 und 2 nur ca 30%(die richtige prozentzahl kann man rausfinden in dem
    man den strom ausstellt und den simulator ganz auf die seite setzt.und nun nachmessen oder per poti auslesen,ist natürlich genauer.für die leichtere erklärung mache ich das mit cm.
    3 ist auf 100 mm
    4 ist auf 0 mm
    dann ist 5 auf 90 mm
    und 6 auf 10mm
    1 auf 65 mm
    2 auf 35 mm
    das heist das 5 und 6 zu 80 % mitarbeiten da immer von der mitte aus gerechnet wird das heist 3 und 4 fahren 50mm (100%)5 und 6 fahren 40 mm(80%),1 und 2 fahren 15mm(30%)
    so das ganze nochmal für die y achse.die z achse machen alle motoren die selbe arbeit.
    bei der yaw achse machen alle die selbe arbeit nur 2,4 und 6 sind invertiert.
    das ist auch nur ein beispiel profil mit je einem wert pro richtung.wenn ich mein persönliches
    profil zu grunde legen würde müsste ich ca 135 eintragungen pro achse im profil haben.

Attached Files:

7. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone translate this please?
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    In short... Nima says he knows what he's doing, and that the profile does not conform to the Stewart Algorith because it would be HUGE.
  9. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok
    i have isolate the x y z and yaw moves in the profil with copy and combine.
    now we have four sektions.z is not a problem all actuators make the same work.
    yaw all actuators make the same way only 2,4,and 6 are invert.
    on y actuator 1,2,5 and 6 are make 100 percent way.
    3 and 4 make only 80% way.for example:with 100mm actuatoren.you are cut the power from the actuatoren 3 and 4 and go with 1 and 2 on 0 mm way and with 5 and 6 100mm way.than you look how many way have 3 and 4.and now messurge(in the best you messurges with the potis)for example 3 and 4 about 90mm on still the sim all actuatoren on 50mm and hi can go 50mm(100%) plus and minus.now you see 3 and 4 are move 40mm this is 80%.
    in y you must cut the power from 1,2,5 and 6 and move 3 on 0 % and 4 on 100%
    and now messurge 1,2,5and 6 and you have all.
    you only have a problem with havy profils.only one actuators go on 100%
    and want more the other becom a problem.but i mean with a littel work on the
    profil i can find a answer on this problem.look the diagram for the actuatornumbers in any postes higher.
  10. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bernard and Nima!

That is a creative way to get the positions Nima! Unfortunately I don't think it is going to work. The actuator positions are not as clear-cut and linear, they cannot be calculated by simple math calculations and percentages. Their position have to be EXACT (+- the mechanical slack), otherwise the platform will fight itself just trying to hold positions. Every mechanical part will wear out and the motors will burn.

IMO the only way to do this is to do it properly. Even with the proper math algorithms, the geometry has to match perfectly. If you have a slightly elevated or shifted pivot point, it will be enough to cause problems. It will probably work within a range in the middle, but over stress parts when you move further from the no stress zone. We can spend weeks fine-tuning all the percentages for a platform and still end up with a sub-optimal performance and increased wear on the parts.

The only way I can see this working is with an intelligent controller that senses the position of the platform, and senses the current draw for each motor. Then it can correct itself by reducing the power to the required actuators while maintaining the position setpoint. But this is just running in circles, creating more problems than solving. Getting the algorithm done properly is much simpler and can be very easily adjusted for any odd geometry.
  11. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi frakk,
    i agree with you a correct plugin is the better way.but i dont see any guy were can make it.and ali have not many time.the idea with a controller is a good for this configuration.now a littel dampering over the actuators than hi have a testversion in the time were ali have.we must have a percentscaler with any numbers behind the point(80,1234565)
  12. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It is impossible to get it done in the time frame. They don't even have the motor controllers to position each actuator AFAIK.
  13. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    i mean ali work on contollers.hi must have it in one or two weeks or the time is out.
  14. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi frakk,
    i have make thinks again and i mean my idea is for a home build dof better as the
    steward.for the steward you must have a perfect geometry and the perfect size
    from the geometry and all work over and under the actuatoren must perfect to and this is a big problem for a home user.my profil work with mesurge after all
    work and geometry problems.and i mean i can make it with play in the actuatoren under 0,5 mm und this play can go in a rubber over or under the actuatoren
  15. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I guess we have to try to see. I really hope your profile works without big problems, but the only way to see is to build it. Maybe when Ali gets to that point, he can try it on his platform.
  16. aliaero

aliaero New Member

Balance:
    277Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi to All, :hi:
    First of all i want to Thank all the people who are really concerned about this project Especially Nima who is really helping me alot.
    2nd i was quite busy in designing a PID controller for the model provided by Mathworks for my own configuration of stewart Platform. http://www.mathworks.es/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/physmod/mech/ug/bq5q4dy.html

The problem i am facing currently is with the stability of the controller, i have edited the model file for my configueration and using SISO tools but unfortunately the system is not staballizing. can anybody help me regarding this.
    here are some basic specs of my platform.
    Height : 0.35m
    Top Radius : 0.165m
    Base radius: 0.26m
    Anybody having event the remotest info ca be helpful :sos:
    regards
    Ali
  17. akina

akina New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0