1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

5 DOF Flight Sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by hugso, Mar 29, 2017.

1. hugso

hugso Active Member

Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    I have been developing a pneumatic flight sim on and off for over ten years. It uses an Arduino which drives servo motors which operate air valves. The sim is carried on three pneumatic rams which provide Pitch, Roll and Heave. These are all mounted on two sets of heavy duty drawer runners which give Sway and Surge motions. These are moved directly by two powerful servos.

I have used SimTools since it was first released. I am still using V 0.1.2.0 and things continue to work well, but I guess I should move on to V2.0. Slightly nervous about this as, while I am an electronic/engineering type, I am not an IT guy. I hope I just insert my present Interface Settings and Axis Assignment and away we go?

Thanks for all you guys who have done the clever stuff with your plugins etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    man you should document further your sim, there are no or a little information here about pneumatic sims :D

yours looks just amazing

how is it? is it fast? is it slow? is it damed powerfull? you use a super big air compresor or a small one? :D:D:D nice sim...

not an answer but... if you are super nervious about braking something and if your simultor is that important, (i think it is, considering the time you invested making it) you should :

- open your pc
    - install a new hard drive (an slow, small and cheap one)
    - install windows, your game and the new simtools 2.0
    ** if it gets broken, get back to the old simtools by changing the hard drive
    *** if not brocken, go back to the old hard drive and change to the new sim tools.

(sily but efective)

fer
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    (at work i have a pc that runs a hily important application, in order to fully back it up, what i did was, booth the pc from a live cd of linux, then full copy all the c: drive to a external location, just in case.... and the case happened, windows got broken some how, so i cleaned the harddrive, re-installed windows, and then, again from linux, i copy back all the files from external to c:, and it worked, i save may ass by being suspicios)

best regards

fer
  4. hugso

hugso Active Member

Balance:
    599Coins
    Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Thanks for your reply.

The rams have a motion of about 8 inches up and down. This is plenty to give a good effect. Pneumatics not fast enough for cars, but in flight gives a good feeling of zooming up, diving down and rolling side to side. I use a silent compressor and about 2cu ft per minute required if doing fairly violent motions. Just this week I have starting using a JetSeat with my rig which vibrates with bumps and when you are approaching a stall etc. It gives nice vibrations with guns and clumps when lowering undercarriage etc. It is very good considering it is just a few motors in a mat which you sit on. In DCS World you can tweak all the various effects. In other sims it uses FFB info.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tom1980

Tom1980 The Sky Is The Limite

Business Management
    Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Great sim, I was looking at pneumatics for my flight sim but like you said it is a little slow plus I had some wheelchair motors laying around.