1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 5 axis rig, traction loss & harness tensioner

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by My.stAr, Jun 25, 2019.

1. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,063Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hey guys,

After being successful with my first simulator I’m now rebuilding almost everything.
    The goal is a 5 axis simulator consisting of:
    • 2 x linear actuators (frame mover, shoulder Mount)
      • 24 V PM motors with 4500 rpm, and a peak power of ~800 W
      • linear unit with 5 mm pitch (wanted to use them in my first rig, now the time has come)
      • Sabertooth 2x32
      • Kangaroo X2
      • Feedback with encoder AMT102
      • DSD Tech USB -> TTL
      • PSU SWS 1000L-24
    • 1x Traction loss
      • 24 V PM motor 400 W with worm gear
      • Sabertooth 2x32
      • Arduino with SMC3-SPS
      • Pot for Feedback
    • 2x Harness tensioner
      • 24 V PM motor with 40 W and worm gear
      • Sabertooth 2x25
      • Arduino with SMC3-SPS
      • Pot for Feedback
    So I’ll have 5 axis in the end.
    The last weeks I designed the actuators and bought a lot of stuff. The first surprise was that the motors didn’t have a regular shaft and used these couplers:
    IMG_20190515_165134.jpg IMG_20190519_104029.jpg
    It’s a worm gear wheelchair motor with a brake. I couldn’t just buy a regular coupler for two shafts but had to design my own one:
    Bild 1.jpg
    The hollow side is attached to the linear unit, the other side is put in the coupler of the motor:
    Bild 2.jpg
    The centering of the Motor and the ball screw is granted with this plate:
    IMG_20190609_181241.jpg
    It has a rabbet/dado (don’t know the English word for it) for the motor and for the linear bearing.
    The plan was to assemble it like this:
    Motor attached.jpg
    Not shown in this drawing are the flanges with the u joints. Didn’t find an affordable u joint with flanges, so I just bought an u joint and draw my own flanges.
    IMG_20190606_195431.jpg
    This flange will be connected with threaded rod to the plate you see above. The other side of the flanges is not finished yet.

Here are some pics of the parts assembled:
    IMG_20190617_174843.jpg IMG_20190617_174839.jpg IMG_20190617_174853.jpg IMG_20190617_175047.jpg IMG_20190617_175353.jpg IMG_20190617_180226.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,063Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    At the back of the motor is a quadruple encoder from CUI. Thanks to @wannabeaflyer2 I didn’t have to search long for a good encoder.
    I found really quickly a cable for the AMT102 for 20$ (with plugs on both sides), but I didn’t want to pay 40 $ for cables which don’t have the proper length, so I started looking for the male plugs. After hours I found the name of them: Molex SL 5 pin W/Latch.
    Molex SL 5 pin with latch.jpg
    And then I was able to find a supplier: Digi key J The price was as expected ridiculously low: 0,32 € a piece. But since my crimping pliers didn’t work, I had to pay another 15 € for the pliers. But it was worth it: At the end I paid less and have the length of the cables I want:)
    Here some pictures of the crimping process:
    Bild 3.jpg Bild 4.jpg Bild 5.jpg Bild 6.jpg
    I didn’t drew the encoders in CAD. And here I made a mistake with the threading. The way they are now, the cable collides with the M10 threaded rod which connects the upper part of the actuator with the u joint flange. So I will need to disassemble the motors again and make new threadings rotated by 45 °. At the moment I have M2.5 screws, but maybe I’ll take M3 screws…

Here is a wiring diagram of the two back-axis.
    electronics.jpg
    Also the DIP switch settings are listed. Atm the encoders work with the highest possible resolution, maybe I’ll have to change that.

I also made my first test with the kangaroo auto tune function. It’s really easy :) and you can quickly see the actuator moving. What didn’t work out was the regulation with a pot (don’t know why). Also the kangaroo had problem when I added 15 kg to the actuator. The kangaroo didn’t seem to do anything against the gravity: the weight pulled the sledge down:(
    IMG_20190619_211448.jpg IMG_20190619_211459.jpg
    The next step will be to attach the things to the PC and test it in DeScribe and with SimTools.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. My.stAr

My.stAr Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    1,063Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    To keep you up to date I also want to add the newest progress. It’s the connection of the actuator with the moving upper Frame (with seat, pedals, wheel...). Had several ideas in mind and tried some of them. At the moment my solution are some extrusions which are cut and got some holes and threadings. In the linear units I needed some threadings in the sledge that I can screw the extrusions together. For that I again needed custom screws :D
    IMG_20190623_210549.jpg
    Here are the pictures:
    IMG_20190620_102932.jpg IMG_20190620_162744.jpg IMG_20190620_162748.jpg IMG_20190620_164812.jpg
    In the last picture you can see a threaded rod. A rose Joint will be screwed and connected to the frame. As soon as I have it done I’ll add some Pictures.

Attached Files:

4. Caesardimxes

Caesardimxes New Member

Balance:
    13Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, SCN6, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Any more progress on this? Building mine atm and need more info and inspiration