1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

$450 Mige Direct Drive Wheel using MMOS and AASD

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Peacemaker105, May 6, 2020.

1. Peacemaker105

Peacemaker105 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Mines 3d printed in PETG, 100% infill. No problem at all. Even heavy drifting and letting it snap back and forwards continuously it just took it like a champ.
    Alternatively you could look at ascher racing as they do a clamp set if you want metal.
  2. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    You can use Ascher racing boss kit and 70mm adapter, along a cheap quick release (from ebay). It all easy to mount:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ed Plese

Ed Plese New Member

Balance:
    63Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great write-up @Peacemaker105! I got this setup and working well following your instructions on it.

To address the humming I used a pair of low pass RC filters with Pn188 = 1 and they completely eliminate it. It's a simple and inexpensive solution and most people may already have the parts on hand. From some filter simulations it should add about 1 ms of latency for large sudden changes in torque but in practice it will be less because the torque commands typically are smooth transitions over a few milliseconds rather than large steps.

Here is the circuit for this filter. The filter frequency is about 1500 Hz. The values are not critical and close values can be substituted.
    PWM RC Filter.png
    Another problem I had was the loss of calibration when the AASD driver was enabled. It was significant and after being powered on for a few seconds the calibration had already drifted to full right steer. This was the result of EMI affecting the encoder signals to the STM32. To address it I used the a differential pair receiver and used both wires for each differential encoder pair. I used some SN75176B chips for this that I had on hand but they are 5v parts and not ideal and there are other 3.3v parts would be a better fit. The encoder inputs on the STM32 are 5v tolerant so it worked by connecting the output of these differential receiver to a ~5K resistor and then to the encoder pin on the STM32. I'm not sure why I was having so much of a problem with this when it seems to work fine for everyone else.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DJ_BLAZKOWICZ

DJ_BLAZKOWICZ New Member

IT TECH
    Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 2 / -0
    I didnt have issues with encoder calibration but my other usb devices would trip out and my loadcell brake pedal was jittery. I just put ferrite chokes on pretty much all my computer cables and ran a ground wire from the motor's flange to the AASD's exposed ground. solved the problem for me.

I'm using one RC filter with 2.2k resistor and 100nf cap and seems to be adequate.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Did you try using shielded db25 cable?? DIY cabling can be trick to make work with all the EMI the motors emitting...

Also, I used DAC that has latency only 8us...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sedesa tatasa

sedesa tatasa Member

Balance:
    497Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Latency is not bad.
    Modern ffb is 60hz-400hz.So there are 16ms-2.5ms interval steps.
    The rise time rounds those edges.
    simcube2 and fanatecDD also have the same purpose filter.
    I think that Pn188 has the same effect.
    As a result, the smoothing(overall filter of mmos) value can be reduced.
  7. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    did you find out what the usb problem was caused by ?
  8. DJ_BLAZKOWICZ

DJ_BLAZKOWICZ New Member

IT TECH
    Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 2 / -0
    what I did:
    1. put ferrite chokes on all usb and serial cables going to PC, stm board and servo drive
    2. connected additional ground wire between servo motor's mounting holes unpainted side and the servo drive's ground.
    3. moved the usb cables of stm board to usb 2.0 ports on the back panel, they were previously on the front panel

i'm not sure if 1. or 3. had the overall effect of stopping the crashing of usb devices. 2. was definitely helpful as i also had random jitters in my loadcell pedal input before the servo got the external ground wire.

so i think it was either ground issue, or emi issue, or both :)

to be fair, the ferrite chokes and the extra ground seems like a general good practice for OSW based on some online search e.g.: https://issuu.com/simracingcoach/docs/tutorial_eliminate_emi_issues
  9. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thanks for the feedback

i have tried ferrite chokes on all cables

moving the usb connection to a laptop on battery power has worked

i will keep trying !
  10. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Awesome man! thanks for the schematic, will help a fair few people out that's for sure :)
  11. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Did you not need a DAC to clean up the signal to remove the humming ??
  12. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yeah that's what they've been reporting.. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. DJ_BLAZKOWICZ

DJ_BLAZKOWICZ New Member

IT TECH
    Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 2 / -0
    a simple rc filter can do the job, but you will get less latency (under 1ms correct me if I'm wrong) with that specific DAC on the TDD board. it's also 1 to 1 conversion between the 12bit pwm of the mmos and the 12bit output of the dac chip.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. sikjar

sikjar Xiao Nie

Translator
    Balance:
    812Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi all, and thank you for the effort you are putting into this. I have started shopping around for an AASD servo drive+matching motor. I noticed many sets are sold in one version without a brake and a more expensive version with a brake.
    Should I buy the version with the brake, or can I go for the cheaper one without the brake?
  15. sikjar

sikjar Xiao Nie

Translator
    Balance:
    812Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi, I am shopping for a servo motor for this project, and found a webshop that sells a 130ST-M10015 (1500 rpm, 1.5 kW, 10Nm) and a 130ST-M10010 (1000 rpm, 1.0 kW, 10Nm). Looks like they produce the same torque, but as far as I can see from you post, the one that has the lowest RPM is the best. Is that correct?
    Also, a more general qustion: When selecting a motor, is the rated torque the most important factor, or are there other specs that also are important?
  16. Peacemaker105

Balance:
    1,977Coins
    Ratings:
    +352 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    you do not want the braked version
    • Like Like x 1
  17. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,287Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @Peacemaker105 just wanted to give ya update that i got my Wheel working at last , @Thanos gave me a pointer that i missed out, because i bought my Core407 board independantly ,theres and solder bridge that needs to be made on the underside of the Core407 board , once done , the system seems to be working just as you both intended. so gonna go buy another wig cos i ruined the last one wondering what i missed LOL :) cheers as always mate for great work and support . its really highly appreciated ..gonna go try and tame this beast now :) Thanks again for bringing this option forward for us tight gezzas :):cheers
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Its the 5v jumper, should be set to 5v OUT !!!

IMG_20200728_143123.jpg

Thanks
    Thanos
    • Like Like x 2
  19. sikjar

sikjar Xiao Nie

Translator
    Balance:
    812Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Did a bit of research, I think I found out why low rpm servos are better.
    This table is from the link in the original post (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32868662195.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.67274c4d5qpWWV)

upload_2020-7-30_15-50-33.png

The servo that is rated at 1000 rpm has a torque coefficient of 2.2 N.m/A whereas the one that is rated at 1500 rpm has a torque coefficient of 1.67 N.m/A. So the servo that is rated at 1000 rpm can deliver more torque with a lower current (Ampere), it will give you more bang for the buck, so to speak. The servo that has a higher rated rpm can deliver the same torque, but you will need a more powerful servo driver that can deliver a higher current. At least that's how I understand it, let me know if I'm wrong
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  20. DJ_BLAZKOWICZ

DJ_BLAZKOWICZ New Member

IT TECH
    Balance:
    266Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 2 / -0
    you should get the 130st-m10010. this the motor they call "small mige" in the opensimwheel community i think.
    better torque coefficient, lower current rating = less heat. rpm does not matter as much as you will not even reach 500rpm in a driving simulator.
    • Like Like x 2