1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3x 0.5HP AC motors + gear reducers for 300$?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by lucacockpit, Mar 25, 2020.

1. lucacockpit

lucacockpit New Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

I'm evaluating my options for my motors (3 motors- 3DOF flight sim platform).

I have been quoted this from China:

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 00.46.04.png

This is gonna sound super naive to some of you probably but I've seen people paying 650$ for 1 motor with similar specs, like this one for example:
    Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 01.16.39.png

The price I got from China is for 3 motors and 3 gear reducers.

I'm confused. What am I not getting here?

Thanks a lot for your input in advance.

Luca

PS: They look very similar (identical?) to the ones used for this platform:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Depends if you want to take the risk? I have seen many people try to get these type of motors working properly and have ended up walking away as the accuracy of movement/noise etc were all issues. You could try ordering one set + controller and see how it goes? There are although proper AC servo solutions out there that are now not that expensive (relatively speaking to what it use to cost in the past) and are known to work great.
  3. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    I use 3 AC motors and I have to tell you that it works perfectly
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Sure there are AC motors that work fine - as I said above, but from my years of reading on this site, it has been shown that not all AC motors are suitable for use in a simulator. The OP was after some actual feedback for the motors he has shown - are you guaranteeing him that these will work perfectly for his application ?
  5. lucacockpit

lucacockpit New Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot for your replies. This makes sense to me, but have you seen the video in my post above? I have checked with the manufacturer that quoted me and they said it was the same model except smaller, so I guess I should be good..

Follow up question I had about AC motors for motion platforms in general, regarding their service factor/duty cycle.

The motor/gearbox I had in mind has a service factor (sf) of 2.1, with 35RPM and a torque of 70Nm.

Can anyone tell me if this service factor is a bad, average or good value? It seems to range from 0.8 to 2.6 sf depending on torque and rpm combo but how does that affect the continuous operation time of the motors?

Thanks a lot, learning day after day here it's super exciting.

Luca