1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3DOF direction decided

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by goonybird, Jun 13, 2011.

1. goonybird

goonybird New Member

Army Reserve Nurse, Schoolbus Driver (ret)
    Balance:
    474Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Had a major shift of direction after reading a post by BigTallTim suggesting to another poster a motion platform using a Sarrus hinge... Previously I had only considered a 2DOF platform (yaw axis not considered necessary) mounted on a automotive universal joint. After looking at Roland van Roy's motion platform IV http://www.simprojects.nl/diy_motion_platform_iv.htm , I realized that even vertical motion can be had even within the 7-foot confines of my basement ceiling. I now can have pitch, roll, and heave!
    After a lot of asking/looking around, I finally am able to import my original gmax cockpit sketch into 3ds max (That cockpit has been constructed and waiting for going on 4 years). I also imported van Roy's Google Sketchup file. I think i have a winning combination here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    great work goonbird..keep it up :hi:
  3. goonybird

goonybird New Member

Army Reserve Nurse, Schoolbus Driver (ret)
    Balance:
    474Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even though this website is primarily concerned with the motion part of the simulator, I've decided to chronicle the cockpit part anyway. Besides, laying my cards on the table in front of the community adds that extra incentive to make good :lol: . Since I've discovered vanRoland's motion platform, I've been so jazzed, I've compiled parts, suppliers, and price lists so as to be able to continue the project ASAP on my return from my tour of duty (yes, I got an all-expense-paid-vacation to sandy places :yes: ). I'll continue the chronicle as I progress thru the project...

I call this project SP-5 (Simulator Project #5). It was (is still) to progress thru 3 stages: 1-structural/electrical (cockpit & internals), 2-mechanical (motion system & wiring), 3-electronic (interfaces).
    The project stalled at the structural and part of the electrical stage after a company that was to manufacture for me an oversized fresnel lense disappeared :? . I since found a supplier and it is now awaiting my return :thbup: .

001.jpg 001a.jpg 001.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg
    14.jpg

The project will continue with switching out the present seat with a racing seat I got real cheap at a yard sale, mounting the monitor, cutting and mounting the fresnel, placing the controls, installing the AC circuitry for cockpit lighting, monitor, environmental controls, and USB hub

Then on to Stage #2.... Many Thanks to vanRoland! :cheers:

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views: