1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question 3DOF AC motors - project questions.

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by bartdereu, Nov 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bartdereu

bartdereu New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi All !

i think after years and years of thinking about it, i finally will start off with building a motion sim
    for VR flying. Goal is to use it ONLY for flying (DCS , FSX and hopefully the upcomming FS2020)

I have my hand on some second hand hardware that i can get for free (AC gear motors and inverters)
    so i rather use them to keep overall costs low.

Now, i have read many many posts about it , and allot of builders are saying that you need 1kw+ motors
    at least. But i have the feeling that you'll need this the most in racing sims and not flightsims (correct me
    if i'm wrong pls) . The short movements up and down require allot more power then a smooth up and
    down that you'd get flying a heli or a cessna 172.

I have the following ac motors available :
    3x 750w 20RPM 3 phase AC motors
    3x 350w 10RPM 3 phase AC motors
    3x 370-550w frequenty drives

I have been testing a bit with the 750w motors and a VFD to see what i can handle, and i have
    the feeling that it really can handle allot. I'm going to test today with a 7cm rod on the axle and
    i hope to pull at least 50kg's

The goal is to build a 3DOF sim like this

[​IMG]

Am i wrong in my whole thinking ? Will the frequency drives cut out even with smooth movements?

Lets say i want to pull 50kg's to 10cm / s the formula would be :
    50*9.81 = 490 N
    490 N x 10cm = 49 joules
    49 J / 1 s = 49 watts (pure power, friction and inertion not added)

Any advice is highly appreciated !