1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3 dof platform what you think(Elastic-Actuated Delta Robot)

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by misoswan, Aug 5, 2017.

1. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK

3 dof or more?
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Cool looking and a novel idea :), but way too complex for what it is - a standard stewart platform would be allot easier to build/drive and give a true 6DOF.
  3. momoclic

momoclic Active Member

Retraité
    Balance:
    2,761Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    I do not understand, it's very similar to my tutorials which has already been built with quite a few copies:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...lator-building-tutorial-3dof-heave-axis.9249/

Three ball joints suply, split the connecting rods and lengthen them ...
    The difficulties seems easy to overcome ...;)
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    True, builds like yours have been around for a long time - maybe this variant just looks complex - inverted delta 3D printer o_O . Your build although does not have the high angles and required leverage as displayed in the video.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    It also looks like it can't yaw? Maybe I'm missing something there.
  6. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Quote from the youtube comment: "This is a 3-DOF Delta parallel robot actuated by series elastic actuators, designed and built by an undergraduate team at Northwestern in 2017 as part of their ME 398 senior capstone design course. Here it demonstrates motion of the platform in the three actuated directions, x, y, and z."
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. momoclic

momoclic Active Member

Retraité
    Balance:
    2,761Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    If it can not make the yaw effect in the strict sense (pivoting on the axis), it can make lateral and longitudinal displacements.

And I do not see how this would not be possible by modifying the elements cited in my tutorial.
    Of course the position of the crank is to review as well as the elements mentioned above but it is quite achievable and fairly simple (for me ...);)
  8. Rob Povey

Rob Povey New Member

Balance:
    332Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    These types of mechanisms are used in high speed pick and place machines, and are the precursors to the mechanisms commonly used in delta printers.
    The mechanics guarantee they can't roll pitch or yaw.
    If you want to introduce a 4th axis, you'd need to introduce an extra actuator somewhere.
  9. momoclic

momoclic Active Member

Retraité
    Balance:
    2,761Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Certainly I did not push the reflection, but nothing prevents to make a simulator.
    The only effect that can not be reproduced will be the lace effect (pivoting on the central axis).
    Compared to a 3DOF we gain the lateral and longitudinal movements.
    And without the need for additional power, perhaps a little extra power ...
    • Like Like x 2
  10. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If you scale this up to put a human on it then you have quite long levers off the motors (more torque required) driving a small platform (more torque required) - I therefore would expect quite a bit more power/torque would be required from the motors in comparison to your build to move the same load at a similar speed.
  11. momoclic

momoclic Active Member

Retraité
    Balance:
    2,761Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Given that the cranks (lever) will be longer this will accelerate the travel speeds,
    Moreover the possible angle of rotation is less than 90 ° then perhaps it will be possible to reduce the speed of rotation, thus with more reduction, more torque.
    There is a small study to be carried out, but a priori no reason it does not work;)