1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF wiper motor sim, continuing.

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by bsft, Feb 27, 2011.

1. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    I would use more then wood screws to hold that thing down too, especially withe the height. For the vertical axis, I would mount the motor below the center of the pivot. You could use something like fan belts and lawn mower pulleys, they are pretty cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbt8xbV ... re=related

Look around 40 seconds
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats a thought as well. Otherwise - LEVERAGE! thats the word I was looking for. The easiest point of leverage is at the ends - corners of the frame. This is where it requires less force to move. Now I have lowered the centre, the outside moves easier so thats a plus. And 40mm at the corners is like 100mm or more at your head. Giving you plenty of motion at the top. Also DERIY's design seat from what I can see works off leverage. Where the motors are at the easiest place of movement. I was trying to work on that idea.
    Ergh! What am I getting myself into! :lol:
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to DERIY and his seat design, today I built a wooden ply seat with steel frame backing. Also I added mounts for rear surround sound speakers. I had to trim it a bit more to fit into the frame. Now the centre of gravity is lower again.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I just ordered two 12v12 as pololu are starting to run a bit low on stock.
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    centre looks alot better now. cool
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the motors and pots are in place, all swings well. I still need to add the speakers and monitor mount.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If I could just STOP blowing up jrk units I would be getting somewhere! ;D
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Firstly, thanks to eaorobbie and his tireless efforts. You legend you. Thanks the DERIY for his seat design , shannon for his assistance in the jrk stakes and settings in rfactor. And others whom I may have forgotten including the designers of the x-sim software a big thanks!

Still not sure what I am doing, but I got the damn thing working in rfactor as a start. I still need to mount the screen on the frame, I had issues with the math values not always working. For some reason, every time I paused or restarted the game it lost a value, be it roll or lateral force. Dunno what happened there. So I just reloaded the values before I started a game. Also if I changed the game settings say from intermediate to advanced player, I would need to redo the x-sim math settings. There must be a way to save them so I do not have to keep re-doing them each time. I just put in roll on the side to side and lateral force and logitudual force on the seat to give me some sort of motion under acceleration and braking. I have not fiddled with the values yet. I am still getting the hang of this thing. Yes many hours of labour and frustration are starting to pay off. I still need to do more tidy up work on the frame, but it is functional.
    Here is a video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTseDm5U4a8
    :cheers:
  7. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Check out bearingboys ( http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Transmissions-1001-c ) for all your belt and chain drive needs ;)

I have used them a number of times - their products are superb!

Tim
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shannonb1, they are high tensile metal screws and when they break I will worry about it then.

Tim, Thanks for the belt chain suggestion. At this stage I will stick with the wiper motors as they seem to be doing a job job so far. I need to get more used to the x-sim program before I start re-designing the frames movement.
    ;D
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just some update photos. I cannot find the movie camera. Damn! At least is moves, although I am having issues with GRID mostly and DIRT2.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    great effort bro :D
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, its getting there. Perhaps a few small mods, moving the feedback pots, re-trim the seat. However, total cost is about $300 so far. If I could just get my favorite games working properly. That being GRID and DIRT2! Although it moves well on rfactor.
    :)
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Woohoo!!! :yippiee: got DIRT2 and GRID working!! I had to set my own values in the math section. This stopped the motion loss problem. More mucking around getting the settings right but it worked! I also changed the datapacket at simulator stop number to ~221~, and the value changed to 2-2-1. I do not know if this helped though. GRID sometimes still crashes when I go from a race back to the main menu. Dirt2 works fine. The pc seems to handle the lot fine. I run GRID at full stick graphics, which puts a reasonable load on the cpu.
    See pics.
    I have linked videos of game play, of the 8 year old kid and the 37 year old kid playing.
    :D
    Thanks again to everyone that helped. Love all your efforts! :cheers:
    Video links attached. I will add more motion setting values later. At this stage I have lateral force and longitudal force.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl9oxOk_jXQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrlzl3Ie7Z8
    ;D
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a video with the screen mounted. If you hear a click-clunk in the background, it is just backlash in one of the second hand wiper motors.
    Also I weight tested it as I am 80 kg, so I tested it with two friends, one at 90 and one at 109kg. No problem with motion at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAcXtnxHXU GRID gameplay.
  14. wayneus

wayneus New Member

Balance:
    381Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, awesome job!!! Seriously thinking of building something like what you have done! I love it!!! How does the left and right rotation feel....doesn't seem as intense as the front to back movement (from watching your you tube video). Do you have a parts list and some specifications? Sure would like to have a crack at this!!!
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the compliment. The left and right (lateral force - roll) is good, I try to keep it fairly settled, although playing Dirt2 , I change that force to full roll , for monsta trucks!. I can add extra force like vertical force to create a feeling of bumps especially going over ripple strips. The seat motion settings need some adjusting , for me anyway, but yes the combined motion is awesome! The is my first attempt at a sim, so I am quite pleased.
    As for a parts list, private message me so I can organise something.
    Cheers, David.
  16. rafael_design

rafael_design Member

CGI Architectural Visualizations with Blender 3D
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi, looks very solid SIM!
    Imho if you place the screen as near as when it is mounted but static it would be as good or even better feeling. Worth trying!
    Congratulations anyway!
    regards!
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, having the screen static is good as well and does make it a bit easier to game. Having the screen on also adds to the effect and makes it REAL interesting to game. I have noticed most people have the screen still. Using the screen on really involved you with the game as it moves with you.
    :happy:
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: 2DOF wiper motor sim, updates.

I had an issue with the motor on the side (roll) frame kept chopping itself out from constant direction changes causing major backlash. I figured out that the motor did not have a constant load on it, so the plastic gears inside were having a hard time. I fitted an accelerator spring on the opposite side from the motor as seen in the photo. This places a load on the motor all the time and even though it changes direction, the load is constant and keeping the gears in the motor meshed together better. No more chopping out motors - so far.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a video of what I have done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcnekS96BKw
    Just disregard the commentry.

And my 8 year old boy is really getting the hang of DIRT2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCGCVQFZSyM
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: 2DOF wiper motor sim,frex build!

Hello All, now I am building a frex style frame. I have used a cut and welded tailshaft with the uni joint as the pivot point. I welded a frame for the base and a frame for the seat to mount on, complete with steering wheel mount. I also built a pedal mount, (not pictured)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My neighbour is kindly trimming a home built DERIY style seat and it should be ready for early next week. I will take more pics. The pots are mounted. I am using the JRK's off my joyrider frame.

Here is a video of the pot setup in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2QqH55byc
    Now to work on motion profiles!
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got the thing together and running. I moved the seat back 3 inches for weight balance (not in photo). I re-designed the pot lever arm as it was creating a feedback issue. Now all good.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A bit more fiddling, one motor has some backlash, so a compression spring on that side may help. That and some new rod ends.
    Now I need to find where the wife hid the video camera.