1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF Wheelchair Motor Powered Joyrider Style Sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Houdiniact, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. I am wanting to make the joyrider style or one like the Deriy style seat. I don't have the funds to use actuators so I will be using wiper motors or electric AC motors or a winch or something. That is where my question comes in. How many horspower motor would I need to get a good strong sim? Here http://cgi.ebay.com/O-Smith-GF2054-Elec ... 35b3165cad is a link to something like I was thinking but I have no idea if in the end the cost to make this work would be high or if it would work at all. I want to attach my triple monitor setup to the seat and i will also have the wheel and pedals on the motion platform. Thanks for your input.
  2. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Almost ready to start my project

Hey guys could someone inform me of how to put pictures up? I cant seem to figure it out. Thanks
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you considering putting the screens on the moving frame? A joyrider setup would be the go if you want the screens to move with you. If not, a frex would be fine designed with the wheel and pedals moving with you. Thats one mans opinion though...
    As for motors, eaorobbie uses 12v winch motors with success. Myself and others use wiper motors. Some use 115v to 240v motors. The control boards will cost more if you look at larger motors.
    Consider what you may actually like, and a budget. Read the threads and do some guestimate costs.
    Feel free to ask questions as you need them answered.
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you look below when you click reply there is an upload attachment tab.
  5. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for responding. Yes I would like to move the screens and everything. I will build the inner cockpit and then balance the mounting points perfectly to my weight left right and foward to backwards. Here are some pics of what I designed in Google Sketchup.

So what do you guys think? I did not put in actual forward to backward pivot points they are guestimated to go right next to the seat where the triangle comes up from the inner frame but that is just a placeholder position. Also I realize it will be sitting a lot lower in the final design because of the weigth of the screens and framework.

I am all ears for suggestions on what style controller and motors I should use. So far my head is still swimming, I haven't really got my bearings yet. I am considering just going with wiper motors the biggest I can find from a bus or truck or something. But I would really like suggestions on the more exotic options like the type of motor and controller. Like Winch motors of just big ac motors. If you give some suggestions please link or post pictures of the specifiic motor you or somebody else used.

Oh and the frame right now is desinged on the basis of 1 inch square tubing as thick as I can find or I might go bigger is someone thinks it will flex with that size tubing. The designe is only 6 feet long at the longest point. I tried to keep it short

Attached Files:

6. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I did state in my post that the mounting points for weight balance are not final and have not even been figured. Thanks for your input. The drawing is just for basic size and dimensions and relationship of the pedals to the seat to the screen. When I build it I will balance it perfectly in the latitud and longitude directions. Do you have any suggestions on what would be the most cost effective controller
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

I'd suggest something more like this:
    Mikes Sim 2 - proposal.jpg
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I had the same issue with my old joyrider, until I lowered the centre seat frame. Mine did well despite being slightly off centre. I had a screen and speakers on it. Two smallish wipers still moved it well though. The outside roll frame should not be an issue, Just mount the motor on the outside edge of the frame. Make a longer lever if it does not swing enough for you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :cheers:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As for controllers.
    Pololu JRK's, good small controller for 12v motors up to 30 amps with built in feedback , about $100 each.

K8055 control board with motor drivers to suit larger motors from 12 to 24 volts. Board $80? + motor driver boards, depending on motor size and power needed - $60 each?

Or the good ol' tronic controller - need to build it yourself, but strong boards.

Have a dig through the forum posts for more info.
  10. lyspatriote

lyspatriote Member Gold Contributor

photographer
    Balance:
    - 76Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LAst year a ad the same idea, but a realise that a playseat desing (2 scn5) is more apropriate for car racing (quicker than joyrider but limited) a have 3 screens 40-37-37 a realize that no way that 3 monitors or a big tv can resist the punichment that the simulator would do to them , it move veryfast , so my sugestion would be to buy 3 big tv so that way event when you move in your simulator your will see the screens no problem. and if youtink of it when you are in a car the decor dont move, you move, so it make sense

here a little video of my second simulator whit 3 tv 32-32-32 still pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwCCLfqfXKI

Go whit 3 42 it will be great and you can buy 42 for about 400$, 3 42 way to heavy

IF you want to do airplaine sim stay whit your joyrider desing.
  11. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow guys thanks for all the feedback. It's so much easier to get started when people shove you in a direction. I have been browsing through the forums for 2 or 3 years now and have never gotten this far before but i'm committed now thats why I am asking all the questions and trying to get help. All criticism is welcome. Thanks egoexptress I will change my drawing to something along those lines and to bsft thank you as well.

From what I read you gave me three different options. I definitely want to use the option that gives me the greatest upgrade path incase I end up going with big motors so that comes down to the K8055 or the tronic controller. I am going to do research on both of those but if anybody has any feedback on those or other options or tips that I may be able to use along the way please keep em comin :)

Also I am going to write down and document EVERYTHING that I do and photograph everything along the way. So I will do a write up as I go along to help people in the future. So your help won't just be helping me but others as well.
  12. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

@ sirnoname I will most definitely look into optimizing the frame for balance and get you a model in 3-D once I do. I want to do everything I can to help the commity. Also would the thanos controller setup be updradable incase I want to use bigger motors in the future other than wiper motors? If not what controller would give me the most freedom. To get that freedom I don't want to spend to much more so if it is cost prohibitive then I will just go with what works for now. I will get the steal for my frame and start building this weekend and see what I come up with then I will take measurments and get them to you.

Also for now I do want the screens mounted on the joyrider so im going with that for now if it ends up slowing my sim I can always put them on a separate stand later.
  13. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh I also want to add that I removed my monitors from their plastic casings and that makes my bezels only 7/16 of an inch which is very nice. This also brought the weight down. The monitors only weight about 11 pounds a piece I think without the stand and casing... I'm not sure on that as I havent weighed them yet but I will
  14. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So I have been looking into different options for motors since the beginning of wanting to start this project. I have seen on here that you some people have used Winch motors and wheelchair motors. I really like the idea of the wheelchair motors. I think they would be robust and fast does anyone have any input on what kind of rpm I should be looking for or what controller could run those motors. I think most wheelchair motors are 24 volts. I am currently looking at many different motors on ebay but I just don't know enough yet about what I will need to buy anything with confidence. Hopefully someone can chime in and shed some lite on my newbie ness.
  15. Houdiniact

Houdiniact Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok guys I just purchased these wheelchair motors for 115 US dollars. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1156 Im open to suggestions on the controller to use. I'm not 100 percent sure but I think these motors can draw up to around 36-40 amps.

Maybe this weekend I will start on the cockpit so that I can get a balanced seat. Have to check out the funds.