1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF w/traction loss(scn6)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ShawnStashek, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    That's probably close to the size we'll end up going with.
  2. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    New bearing is still in the works. Swapped out the Fanatec wheel. Love the magnetic paddles on the Ricmotech so much I might actually drive something other than h-patterns all the time.
    20180927_074656.jpg 20180927_074710.jpg 20180928_142126.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    As usual very nice quality equipment. I make do with a Logitech G920 as it does the job for me.
    Maybe if I were a better driver I would appreciate a better quality direct drive wheel and some quality pedals.
    I look at your setup and think OMG there is half a proper race car sitting there, but that is just jealousy speaking :)
    I am still waiting for my Hall Effect Pots to arrive so that I can finish off my rig.
    So while I wait I have been playing F1 2018 which I like and I got V-Rally 4 last night but I only got a quick run on a bitumen hillclimb race which looks like it will be some good racing.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    It actually is about half a race car. I sold my car about a year ago. I had a season full of downtime and a bunch of expenses that pushed me past the breaking point. Figured I'd go all in on the sim and end up saving money not buying another car. I primarily did autocross. The car was an absolute beast putting down 425hp to the wheels on an awd car that weighed around 2700lbs. It was a blast racing, but when its sitting in the garage eating money it loses the excitement.

FB_IMG_1510245213879.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510245200434.jpg FB_IMG_1517867609709.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Very nice. Is that a mustang ?
    I know real race cars are money pits, but what hobby or sport isn't.
    Many years ago I did some drag racing, then superkarts.
    I started building a buggy which is at the start of my build page but my body is not up to rigours of real race driving now.
    I would love an open wheeler which we call an F1000 here which is usually a Hyabusa powered open wheeler which is pretty affordable in the scale of things but I can't
    so I have to make do with the computer and sim, but I would still like just one run in something like
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. That open wheeler would definitely be fun. I would love to be able to do some wheel to wheel racing, but doubt I'll ever invest that much into it.
  7. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    That is the point really. If you are concerned about being an also ran and head of the pack then you can but a car like in the video for about $25K AUD which would be about $15K USD so a lot less than most people think and I bet you probably had near that invested into the Eclipse. Hill climbs are a cheap form of motorsport compared with circuit racing.
    It's all about the $$$$'s unfortunately, but if you have the means to do it, than have a go and don't live to regret it later on in life when you can't, like me :(
    At least I still have the memories from my youth.
  8. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    We won't talk about how much I had in the mitsu, wish it was only 15k.
    New bearing plate is fabricated and installed. Taking it for the first test drive shortly.
    20181002_103359.jpg 20181002_103419.jpg 20181002_114320.jpg 20181002_125209.jpg
  9. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Figured some rally cross would put the bearing through a good test. Much improved over the old turntable.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The bearing idea is what I had visualized in my head with the bearings that I have in stock from another project.
    Nice Tig work, do you do your own or farm it out.
    I hate welding ally. I can tig it very badly and I can mig it much better as I worked in a ship yard that builds all ally catamaran's, the worlds fastest
    I have been playing Dirt 4 recently , and V-Rally 4 which should be better once I have movement.

Incat.jpg
  11. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    My friend has a fully equipped fab shop with a plasma table, mill, lathe, ect. He always did the fab work for my real car, which is the majority of the work he does. Haven't purchased v rally yet but have heard some good things. This is the project my buddy finished up before completing my rig. FB_IMG_1538551493267.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Very nice. Hard to make out, is that Camaro or Pontiac or wrong on both counts maybe a Vega ?
    I still have a small shitty old lathe, a vertical knee mill, built and sold a CNC Plasma Cutter, built and sold a CNC router, twice
    and I work in single car size garage that I also built.
    My current unfinished project apart from the Sim is my Edge Pirahna Buggy which I started last year but was interrupted by a year spent dealing with bowel cancer so I intend to get back in to it soon and finish it off.

DSC_0154.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    It's a 2nd gen Camaro. Sounds like you have a pretty decent workspace. What does the buggy have for an engine? I'm a pretty handy person, I just lack any metal working tools beyond the basics. I've remodeled nearly my entire house. This is actually the second simulator in my house. I built a golf simulator in the bedroom just on the other side of the wall where the race sim is. 20180522_134855.jpg
  14. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Is that a Man Cave or does your better half let you have your toys :)
    No way I can't swing a cat in my tiny little shed.
    The Buggy has Honda 954 RR from an 03 Fireblade.

I have the real thing at my back fence ( Golf Course) Gum.JPG
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  15. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    There is no better half, that's how I get away with it. Lol
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I had one once, but only once and I traded her for peace and quiet.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    All this talk about rally got me motivated to get a profile setup for dirt rally. Definitely shows the capabilities of the rig a lot better than track stuff.
  18. Tonantsa

Tonantsa New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN5
    You have SCN5 actuator as a harness tensioner.

Does it work well? Do you use surge with it?

I also have an extra SCN5 and I would like to use it as a tensioner :)
  19. Deane

Deane Old Fart

Retired
    Balance:
    793Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Even without the motion working I find that I like Dirt 4 better than V Rally 4 as I haven't been able to get a decent setup for my wheel in it yet so it's undrivable atm.
    I seem to do best on the loose gravel stages of Australia than the ones in Wales and snow and ice is not so good, I keep hitting the snow banks and flipping :mad:
  20. ShawnStashek

ShawnStashek Member

Balance:
    338Coins
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    It's been working very well. I am currently using simcommander for software. That has the option for acceleration and braking g forces separately. I believe you would use surge with sim tools, but I am unsure if you can limit it to only one direction, or if it would loosen under acceleration. I've only used sim tools to manually move the actuators thus far. Also, simcommander allows you to put filters on the effects. I put a smoothing filter on to eliminate some of the quick erratic movements. It now has a smoother more consistent pull. If you have a spare actuator sitting around I would say definitely try it out.