1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2dof to 3dof DIY Seat mover

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Nick Moxley, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Polou's ordered along with the proper usb wires. Damn shipping option scaring me into spending more on shipping. lol

Seat's going to the welder in the next day or so to get the frame done up, also Buddy might have sourced me a Quad CV to use instead of a U joint.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cv joints dont lean properly like a uni joint I found and cv tend to have a bit of twist in them as well. Not the preferred choice, but give it a go
  3. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    what do you mean by lean properly ? remember i will be in a perma leaned situation with my seat angle the way it is.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, probably not clear, if you can get a steering uni and a cv joint, move each from side to side and you will see what I mean. Yes I know your seat will be leaning back.
    I dont see why a cv joint should be an issue.
    Sorry, I went off tangent.
  5. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    This is essentially what buddy has for me, Random pic off google but you get the idea, im getting it tomorrow so will have a better idea of what the feeling is.

[​IMG]

Question for you too dave, I have about 10" of space under the seat(centered NOT balanced) minus the seat frame material to fill with this CV. Do i want the Joint as High as possible to the seat or as low as possible to the base to be as close to the motor mounting height. Or in the center ?

here's a crude Paint edit, and thinking now i did the center of balance way off but w/e its more the height of the CV i need to know.

preview_image_0_8866572x_zps7581be80.jpg
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  6. vell001

vell001 New Member

Balance:
    559Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Cool job...
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you need the actual rotating joint as high and as close as possible the the bottom of the seat, the rest can be as long as you like reaching to the bottom of the frame.
    I looked at the pic, thanks for that. If you are not too heavy and i just checked that in another message, the position of the arms is a bit close allowing with the seat leaning as it, if you can go back a few more degrees (photo looks to be about 10 ish deg angle), like 15-25 deg angle and spread the same out the side, you will get the right leverage. If you cannot go wider at the back, as long as you allow more angle from the back it will be ok.
    Best way to check centre of gravity, is set the seat up on its frame, sit on it, lean back, and roll it over a length of pipe back and forth until you find the balance point, mark it and thats where your pivot goes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    CV joints dont roll over their centres like a Uni joint does, they are a compound joint, But will work but tend to feel a bit wierd in motion if you have been on a sim with a Uni. If near new or in good condition should be fine as a starter and as @bsft has stated please keep the actual joint as close to the chair bottom as possible, this inturn will lessen the weight the motors need to hold and will result in a truer movement.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok Cv up High and more angle on the rear arms, I can do more length in the base and that sketch isn't accounting for the few more inches i can go wider before the base wont fit in its storage location. the width i showed with rules how far i can go.

MIGHT be able to squeeze out another inch or 2 from this angle. Can i cheat and use a narrow top mount to get more angle from the side ? Dave i know on your frame the seat frame is the same width at top and bottom. Can i narrow it up and get the angle or will that result in something i dont want

rough example, square frame in red, narrowed top frame in yellow

preview_image_0_19978562x_zps9fa4f69b.jpg

The CV im getting is near brand new, had 1 side fail on a unit and buddy says the good side is slop free. we'll see in a few hours when i get it in my hands.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  10. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cool should be good, and yes lean the arms in 5-10 deg like shown with the yellow line , should help to hold heavier drivers and steady the sim once in motion.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Awesome thanks robbie, i do know how angle and leverage works" technically" but again would prefer to do this Once and not have to come back and revisit parts. lol
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I still dont know how it works, but it works
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. hyper1966

hyper1966 Domenic

Balance:
    833Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Hi I used the 500W Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply AC 100V-240V to DC 12V 40A that I bought from ebay from HK ,two of them as suggested by bsft, they work fine, feel heavy are good quality 12v PSU, and were easy to wire up .
    I have 2dof simulator with Pololu JRK 12v12,Worm Drive Motor 12V/24V 200W.hope this helps Domenic
  14. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok So i got my motor's today, Am i flipping the output shaft ? easy as just pop the case off the motor, Open it and flip ?

Oh and got the JRK's also. :thumbs
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    got a photo?
  16. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    [​IMG]

and which one if im flipping
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks for that, @eaorobbie has pulled apart the gearbox and spun the centre around and reassembled the gearbox. I cannot advise which one to change, depends on how you plan to mount the motors.
    I havent though, I just run a long enough bolt so left and right sides are even on the output side.
    If you look carefully at this photo, http://img225.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=236339340_IMG_20120707_103932_122_915lo.jpg I just set it up with an extra nut on the bolt so the levers sit even
    Heres another shot http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=264600411_IMG_1275_122_510lo.JPG
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok Ill figure out which way i want em and flip and need be, Do you advise drilling the small hold in the gear box output into the bolt ? or is just Tightening the crap out of the bolt enough to hold it in place ?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    both
    I found a small set of grubscrews at the hardware store, so I drilled a hole through the hollow shaft and into the bolt and tapped a thread and put a grub screw in for good measure
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  20. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    This is what I did, a simple 3,2mm split pin through the 12mm bolt. Have not snapped one yet, and thrash them hard.
    DSC00209.JPG
    Connecting pot I do it like this too
    DSC00208.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1