1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2dof to 3dof DIY Seat mover

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Nick Moxley, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Ok ill try and draw something up for ya dave, Also what do you think of the Server Power supply idea ? specs look up to snuff and the 3 wire mod thing is ridiculously easy.....and not to mention the Drastic Discount in price compared to some of the Ebay units from HK.

Im over the PC power supply thing if i can get these server PS's to work.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    power supplies look ok, buy it and see if it blows up.
    Ok, I await a drawing whenever you have time
  3. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Awesome I got a pair coming from a Canadian seller so shipping is as expensive as the PS, 15$ :thumbs Compared to spending 200$ on the HK versions Im pretty happy with this solution.

Ive also come to the conclusion im going to just move the whole pedal box/Seat box forward to give me enough room out back to get my angles right and the width of the base I will max out to what i can and deal with it.

Now to get enough $$ in the ol bank acct to start acquiring more stuff, Motor's i think are next so i can start to play with placement and POT mounting.
  4. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,399Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Yes beware the Jrks used with big motors can peak in the mid 40's, why I use a decent dc battery and charger, and Im a cheap skate too.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sweet, Motor's and PS's Ordered, next up will be the polou's and Pots i guess.

And Again thanks for all the help guys. Wouldn't be able to do it without ya. :cheers
  6. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Nick,

I am also using those server power supplies, except mine are the 700w version (HP 700gb). They really are easy to mod and work very well. I have one mounted on my 2DoF running two winch motors pushed by an Arduino and a MotoMonster dual driver board. They provide plenty of power.

One thing to note though, the contacts are all open to the air and you could accidentally drop conductive material across the terminals. I purchased liquid electrical tape and just brushed it onto the contacts, both top and bottom. A dropped screw driver, or even a screw, could really mess up your day.

You should be able to find it at any major hardware store. Here is what I used (not sure if there are Menards in Canada?).

http://www.menards.com/main/electri...id-electrical-tape-green/p-1460537-c-6482.htm
    • Like Like x 5
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I am now curious about the server PSU, I will wait to see how they actually get wired up, I am sure I could find the 12v with a multimeter though. In AU, they are $35 each delivered at 575 watts, thats definitely cheaper than the others.
  8. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    If you are using the 700GB (700W) they should look like this, mine do anyway. Two alternate ways to jumpering the PSU, both work. HP DPS-700GB.jpg PCB-700GB-TOP.jpg

The above images were found in this thread, there are 157 pages of information on various server PSU hacks:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005309
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Damn i knew i should have looked up the 700W specs and schematics, I saw those just as cheap as the 600's but saw the Digital board and was scared it might not be Exactly what i need. Well there's an Upgrade for the future to consider. Thanks for posting that Historiker.
  10. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  11. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I used 3/8" on both of my builds. Plenty strong enough considering the mass that is being moved.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  13. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok Pots have been ordered from the Canadian Side of Element14, Lets hope i pass the "Credit check" o_O
  14. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
  15. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
  16. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    "Apr. 30th, 2013 - Been a long time since I have edited this page and thought it was time to add a few things. When I posted this project little was known about these PSUs. When we started using them we simply tried pins until they worked. Now we know the pin-out and there are many more interesting things you can do with these guys. For starters, we found that shorting pins 6-9-10 together powered them on. Unfortunately pin 9 can be used for adjusting the voltage. Shorting 6-8-10 also turns them on and leaves 9 open for use. Putting a 1K ohm pot between 3-9 allows for output voltage adjustment up to 13.8V. Shorting pins 4-8 will lower the fan speed but the PSU can still raise the speed when needed. "

Which of these pots would i want. Linear, Logarithmic, Trimpot Trimmer, Linear Dual Taper Soo many i have NO clue the difference.

http://stores.ebay.com/Tayda2009/Vo...&submit=Search&_fsub=788617016&_sid=872591586
  17. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey Nick, could you link to the original post you quoted from? I would like to read more about that myself. My PSUs are outputting the regulated 12v but it would be cool to be able to bump them up to 13.8 if that will also increase the amperage.

Simple linear pots should work, as long as they are good quality.

An update on the performance of my PSUs. I have spent the day playing Asseto Corsa pushing 3DoF (traction loss) and they have performed perfectly. They do get hot but if that worries you a cooling fan could always be hooked up to push air through them.

Edit: I found it :)

http://www.tjinguytech.com/my-projects/HP47A
    • Like Like x 1
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Heatsin...258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc0ef55a2 those heatsinks will be fine, put a decent 120mm fan over the top of them though, the jrk boards that is.
    And use linear pots. Best use 360 deg hall effects, they have almost unlimited turns, and being 360 deg, you cannot break them. Just drill a hole to suit the shaft of the pot into the back of the motor shaft bolt, and glue it on, with a bracket to hold the pot steady. I did post pics somewhere of this...
    Oh, and you can use 360 deg single turn pots as well. I must admit, since adapting @eaorobbie idea of pot directly in back of motor shaft, its been great and a bit cheaper to set up than 3 turn pots.
  19. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

Dave im asking about a Pot for the Voltage adjustment, My 360 Hall effect's were ordered yesterday. =)

Also for the 2$ it cost, i ordered the Linear pots from the Heatsink seller
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok then.