1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2dof to 3dof DIY Seat mover

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Nick Moxley, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    So New motor's showed up for buddy's rig, and here's the pics as promised.

Overall Very Impressive gear box i must say, the Spring washer is Super trick and ill be looking to aquire a few more for my gear boxes.

Gear box screw's are Normal M5 bolts.

[​IMG]

Worm gear drive Just like my boxes.

[​IMG]

Nice Super Thick Main gear

[​IMG]

and the Fancy spring washer, WHO knows what these are called ? ? ?

EDIT, there called Wave Spring washer's. lol

[​IMG]

Axle Hole is 12.08mm in diam, Smaller than my gear boxes but ya, thought i would mention.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. frankrizzo2

frankrizzo2 Member

Balance:
    603Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I'm using the same motors and so far they've been working great
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

Got a link to some pics as to how you mounted the motor's and also the Pot mounting ? Thanks.
  4. frankrizzo2

frankrizzo2 Member

Balance:
    603Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I will try to get you some pics in the next couple of days. I was going to ask you the same on how you were going to mount the pots. I have them mounted to the back side of the shaft. It works pretty well but you need to be pretty precise as the pots will wear out pretty quick otherwise. I'm gonna work on a better solution when I have time.
  5. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    As a matter of fact i Just Finished up the pot mounts. Im using plastic as my mount so likely hood of any binding is slim, Lesson learned on my first go with the hall effects. Ill get some pics when i get the axle bolts drilled and can actually mount the pot.

power supplies Showed up yesterday too and are already soldered up and ready to go.
  6. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    mmm like the look of the new type of motors myself be interested to see a vid of them running.
    The washers are pressure washers I think :think, used to hold the gearing in a centred position plus allow the drift if something jams or goes astray. Normally made from spring steel.
    Nice find.:thumbs
  7. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes the Motor's do look interesting for sure, they are maybe 3-4mm longer than my motor's and there's a Little bit of gear noise when working them by hand, but nothing crazy.

washers are called Wave Spring washer's. Trying to track a couple more down for my Motor's so i can pull that shim out.

http://www.precspec.com/wave-spring-washers.html

Got Buddy's JRK's all wired up and heatsinks Installed, here's what it looks like. Ill most likely be Re doing my JRK's with a nice 120mm project box like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pot mount, Axle bolts should be drilled out today or tomorrow so i can finally mount the pots.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  8. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    I do like the little box for the Jrks , nice idea, as long as plenty of air is pumping through it , it will be perfect, lol I need to do this to mine, haven't done this with my current rig as Im always pulling the electrics apart to test other controllers and codes, time to box it all up and make it look pretty, well after the drift frame goes under it first.
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    the standard 2000rpm fan blows TONNES of Air through the vents, The heat sinks in the pics are also the one's i ordered which FINALLY showed up, I plan to use the Black even larger sinks on my jrk's when i do the rebuild. I also took the time and used some 2000grit wet sand paper and flat sanded the heatsinks. IMO they had a really rough surface which is now Glass smooth. The sink's actually "suction cup" themselves to the chip once thermal paste is applied, so i know they wont just fall off.

Also Little Side Note. I took me 3 JRK's , 2 of which i Didn't solder myself to realize the little blue tabs have a V slot in them to "click" them together when soldering to the board. I really wish there was an easy way to remove them from the boards and re solder em. I do have a solder sucker but have never managed to get it to really work, Oh well, just thought i would mention it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    update,

Latest Addition is proving to be difficult, After speaking with Tech support they think something's up with the amp and thats the reason these new LFE's feel like duds. I can Barely feel them mounted Directly to the Seat Frame.

[​IMG]
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I would have to agree that something is wrong. I use four Aura bass shakers on the corners of the platform and feel every pebble on the road. With the LFE's you should feel like you are being paddled by your third grade teacher! :)
  12. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

Spoke to buttkicker today and well just say IM NOT HAPPY!!!!!....the tech basically said oh ya the dayton amp isn't as powerful as its supposed to be( WHAT!!!!!) and that's because its Not Built by buttkicker and it wont be the same as what im getting from my Gamer 2 ( ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! WTF kind of excuse is that)

SO i mounted the LFE into the Gamer 2 mount on the socket and running a Single LFE off the Dayton amp and GUESS WHAT,,,, IT SHAKES THE CRAP out of the rig. So the tech saying the Gamer 2 mount has nothing to do with this whole situation is a Load of SHI*!!!! Ive made a 2nd call into Customer service to see if i can get someone who actually understands what my issue is and is willing to help out.

MY Solution due to the Alreday cracked LFE mount is to send me 2 Gamer mounts, JUST the mount No shaker's and I can mount my LFE's in the gamer mounts and All the world is happy again. First tech made it sound like this would be the end of the world and it couldn't happen. Lol
  13. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    :cheers happy end! that's a good news because buttkicker is very appreciated for immersion

edit : I understood you had the solution... but you said what you think as a solution for you! sorry I did'nt understand :confused:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  14. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Haven't received a call back from buttkicker yet. I wasn't pleased with the first tech i spoke to so ive asked to speak to someone higher up.

But in case that also fails I'm Already in the planning stages for a Custom "wiggling" mount. Might try and duplicate the Gamer 2 mount or might just try a single 1/2" or 12mm threaded rod "Axle" for the shaker to get going on.
  15. Roonster

Roonster Member

Balance:
    609Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Nick,

I've always had better luck with braided solder wick than solder suckers, easier to use and cleaner from my experience.

upload_2014-4-28_20-44-12.jpeg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062744
  16. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Roonster, ive often thought of picking up some while at the electronics shop. Guess i have a reason to now. :thumbs
  17. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    YAY a Solution has been found. After another conversation with tech support, Andrew luden really understood this was a very unique situation and is willing to swap out my LFE mounts for Gamer mounts.

THANK YOU BUTTKICKER for making this right.
  18. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    So, we can have a drink now?! ;)
  19. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    :cheers

Officially dismounted/mounted the seat for the LAST FREEKING time to get the 2nd shaker off the seat frame, Got a pair of sockets waiting for mounts and another sim starter package which will contain 4 extra gamer mounts.:eek: Unfortunately the extra 2 LFE's, dayton Amp and gamer mounts are going to Buddy and his rig, This was a One off from Guitammer so dont be asking for this package deal. Lol

I could only imaging 5 Gamer 2's on a Seat mover, LOL One on each seat bolt and One, ummm.....I dunno where to put the 5th. lol Buddy will prolly have me do it for shi*'s and Giggles. :grin
  20. Roonster

Roonster Member

Balance:
    609Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Nick,
    I'm glad I came across this post, I was planning to cut the Gamer 2 mount off of the two buttkickers I have and try to mount them more like LFE's.

Thanks,

Paul.

Looks like I should rethink that plan and keep the gamer 2 brackets on.