1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF Platform - Proof of Concept / Review

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by boosted-lt1, Jan 16, 2012.

1. boosted-lt1

boosted-lt1 Member

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Hey guys,

Just joined the board after stumbling onto the site Saturday. I was inspired to re-think a concept for my first motion simulator. After a little research here, I put something together in sketchup. I'd like to get some thoughts and feedback on the screen shots and information below.

* I fly mainly X-plane and Il2 and drive mainly GTL for now (about 70/30, flying/driving)
    * Targeting 2DOF (with potential to add heave and yaw later) with +/-20deg rotation
    * Decided to look at platform style first - with large display attached
    * Considering Wiper style motors or a heavy duty variant such as bsft recommended
    http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/wo...drive-motor-12v-180w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html
    I could start with basic wiper motors first for initial prove out
    * Looking at jrk 12v12 for each motor with a 5 or 10 turn pot geared to each motor shaft and using X-sim.
    * Is +/-20deg realistic with a worm gear setup? I show I will need 6 lever arm off of the motor with a minimum of 13Nm per motor. This is with my Body C.G. behind the pivot so that I 'feel' more of the pitch rotation.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    20 deg angle should be achievable , you would need to make your own lever for the big worm gear motor to get that.Or even 12 volt winch motors like what Aldoz and Eaorobbie use.
    Wipers may not give you that much power, depending on pivot balance point.
    Those sort of angles would send your weight hard on the motors, so maybe a joyrider style frame would be better.
    :cheers:
  3. boosted-lt1

boosted-lt1 Member

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Thanks for the feedback. I was a little against a joyrider style frame beacause of all of joysticks, throttles, trims wheel , hanging off of the sides - as well as mounting a big display or multiple monitors. Seems it would be harder to package for me in a joyrider frame.

Has something like what I'm thinking about been done sucessfully before?

Side question: Speaking from rule of thumb - what are acceptable rotational movements (pitch, roll) for more or less a good flight sim and for a good driving sim?

Thanks - Awesome site btw!
    Scott
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. boosted-lt1

boosted-lt1 Member

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Good info there bsft. Something like Aldoz's setup might just be the ticket. Long road ahead I see :) I'm going to spend some more time researching before diving right in. But I just have to have that in the seat feeling lighting the afterburner and ripping a jet off the run way :D