1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF motion simulator build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ville Pesonen, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Ville Pesonen

Ville Pesonen Active Member

Balance:
    831Coins
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I met a school friend of mine last december and we started to talk about my sim. He has a company and they have presentations every friday from different subjects and he asked me to come over and do a little presentation of the sim.
    Last weeks Friday we transported the sim to the office and I did the presentation. After the presentation everybody there had a chance to take it for a drive with Dirt Rally. The presentation is in Finnish so you might not understand what I talk about but at 46:30 mark the driving starts.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I would have enjoyed this presentation, wish I spoke Finnish or it had subtitles. A great opportunity to share with the community. Thanks for posting.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Interesting video,

Curious where all the input lag is coming from ? Wheel positions look VERY VERY much wrong in game compared to what the driver's are doing with the wheel.
  4. Ville Pesonen

Balance:
    831Coins
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The Finnish language narrows the viewing audience pretty well :D
    I think I've seen automated subtitles on youtube, but I've no idea if Finnish is supported. I'll have to look into it.
    [EDIT] seems like the only supported languages are English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. So it's not possible to add the subtitles to the video.
    I can only guess that the lag is from the recording / streaming software. There were multiple cameras recording and the image from the computer was captured with a hdmi splitter. Probably the recording software did some processing on while combining the video sources.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  5. Ville Pesonen

Balance:
    831Coins
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Recorded a video of dirt rally today. My webcam does not like dim rooms so the video is a bit blurry.

I also moved the rods one step closer for the first time. Now the CTC is 4.5cm and the movement is a bit snappier. I think it's better this way. Now I'm wondering why I did not do this earlier..
    IMG_20160317_214609.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ville Pesonen

Balance:
    831Coins
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I made a little upgrade to the sim. The old universal joint from a steering wheel column got upgraded to a universal joint from a cardan.
    2017-02-03 21.16.40.jpg
    The movements seem much more refined now that the swinging of the simulator is reduced a lot.
  7. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,106 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    How can you guys play with the virtual wheel not matching the real one? I find it terrible and really disturbing, that's the reason why I'm not playing DR lately. I must fix this issue (but I'm too lazy to look for a solution right now)
  8. Ville Pesonen

Balance:
    831Coins
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Try adjusting the Steering saturation in the wheel options. it does limit the effective range of your wheel though, so you might not like it. I've set it so that when I turn the wheel 90 degrees to left or right it is the maximum. After that the wheel matches the real wheel movements.
    Here's more info on setting up wheels in Dirt rally:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=442924031
  9. Daguru

Daguru Rally drivers do it in the Dirt

Kitchen installer
    Balance:
    453Coins
    Ratings:
    +632 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    set it to just show wheel (no arms) and it should match your wheel 1 to 1
  10. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,106 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I hope to find another solution because I don't like having no arms and hands :D

PS. Nope, it's because there's no animation for arms and hands for turns above 180º
    So I have to enable soft lock and set wheel rotation (if it doesn't correctly detect it) to 900°