1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 2DOF “Seat Mover” - Kangaroo, Sabertooth and 2x24Volt Wheelchair Motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Willem Pienaar, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Willem Pienaar

Willem Pienaar New Member

Balance:
    488Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Good day fellow “motion simmers”.

I have been a long time simmer and have over the years refined and modified my sim rig to support both racing as well as flying simulators.

With the necessary persuasion from a good friend and fellow simmer (Robbie Teengs), we have decided to take the next step in our simming world and that is the world of motion. The decision was to start off with 2 DOF seat movers.

P.S. The matter was further complicated that I'm located in the UK and Robbie in South Africa. TeamSpeak and TeamViewer will over the past few months prove to be invaluable for the two of us to share ideas and our experiences. I'm slightly behind Robbie's project as he was able to fire his up already and apparently it is an amazing experience.

We decided to both use a similar setup to make life easier for the both of us as neither have any real electronic experience. We’re using an identical setup comprising of a Sabertooth (2X32), kangaroo, 2x potensiometers and 2X24 Volt wheelchair motors.

What will follows below is my expedition in building my own motion rig.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Willem Pienaar

Balance:
    488Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I’ve set-up a mock-up to familiarise myself with the basics of the Dimension Engineering Kangaroo and Sabertooth.

My 1st goal was to see if I get ant response from the wheelchair motors and I performed an auto-tune directly on the Kangaroo

And there is life !!!!
  3. Willem Pienaar

Balance:
    488Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The "electronics" are coming along nicely.
    20160828_090906.jpg 20160829_085925.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Willem Pienaar

Balance:
    488Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    And the final product.
    20160829_171638.jpg 20160829_171712.jpg
    I assume the "proof will be in the pudding"
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Willem Pienaar

Balance:
    488Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The electronics was the fun bit. Now for the hard/dirty work.

This is a complex build as the "seat mover" mechanism needs to fit into my existing rig. Space is limited meaning that the mechanism must be compact.

It all starts by putting my ideas to paper (This is due to change as I progress with the build)
    20160826_101016.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  6. Willem Pienaar

Balance:
    488Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    The concept is starting to take shape.
    20160829_151241.jpg

Still a long way to go. The motion mechanism will eventually bolt into the existing rig (visible in the backgrounn)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire "Forever a work in progress"

Electrical/Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +313 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    That's some damn clean wiring! Nicely done! How much is that PSU rated for?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willem Pienaar

Balance:
    488Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi Tim. Thank you for the compliment on the wiring. The last time I've done something like that was around 40 years ago at school.

The power supply is a "SANPU 24 Volt LED Power Supply Driver 600 Watt Constant Voltage"

Regards

Will