1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 12v Winch Motor Driving Simpit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Historiker, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    RacingMat, you asked for these pictures a while back. Sorry it took so long:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  2. eightbit

eightbit Active Member Gold Contributor

Fish Farmer
    Balance:
    183Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Gears of raaaaaaa!!! love it! the Resolution looks great??
  3. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Resolution? Hehe, "Gears of Ra" I like that....gives a somewhat mystical feel to the project.

Wanna see something really cool?

My new wallpaper:

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  4. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for the pics even if you found the solution before !
    How did you finally get rid off shear force onto your pot ? a little more gap between gears ?

Many teeth !!! :D:D:D
    So, between simulator highest position and lowest position, how many pot turns do you get ?
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice idea of side screens on the side, that would be a more compact 3 screen setup
  6. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Mat, I will have to take a look and find out. I doubt there is one full turn though. Kind of overkill for 10 turn pots I know but they are what I had available ;)

EDIT: Forgot to answer your other question. I used a Dremel and elongated the mounting hole for the pot so I could adjust the position.

Dave, thanks! I do a lot of writing so having documents open in portrait mode makes it much easier to get work done. The center screen is a Dell 30" 2560x1600 so no scarcity of gaming space either :D

I am loving the Simtools wallpaper!
  7. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here is my very first video of my large....aspect....riding the simulator :D

I am 6'4" (1.93m) tall and weigh 350lbs (158kg), this thing tosses me around like I am a leaf in the wind :D

Sorry for the glare from the front of the shop, that is the sun reflecting off the top of my head, lol.

• Like Like x 9
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    woohoo! Yeah, lets rock. Great job!
  9. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Wow, I really can't believe it is finished....

After four years of failure; with the 24v motors killing two K8055s, getting completely lost in trying to figure out x-sim (which compared to SimTools is labyrinthine) and enviously watching the youtube videos of those who were more successful than I, I finally have a working motion platform.

Want to know what my biggest failure what though? I failed to ask for help.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,638Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 8 / -1
    Fantastic... I am sure you will agree it is extremely satisfying taking that first drive in a new sim! :)

BTW, Is the shelf at the back for your mates to rest their drinks while watching? :D
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    lol, only if they don't mind their drinks flying around the room ;)

Actually, I had installed that when I was testing and tuning the motors/sled. I wanted someplace to put the keyboard and mouse. I thought at first I would keep it there in case I did upgrades, etc in the future but now I doubt I will need it. I thought someone would comment that it looks like a rear spoiler on a car :D
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It may not be a matter of not asking for help so much. I have a 85 year old mate with a windscreen wiper seat mover that tried with a K8055 unsuccessfully for years, until he found JRKS via me, of which I helped set him up in less than an hour. Boom, motion with ease.
    The "other" software has brought a lot of us to the DIY sim group, now as you see, thank to the efforts of the fellas here, we have new software which is proving itself over and over better. We have software developers willing to listen and make changes to help us all. Not just push us into the direction of....my way or no way.
    Many of members here and there have tossed in the towel so to speak, so dont worry. People like myself help by re-directing others back to where the help is, again.
    More choice of controllers are available and we dont have certain people here bagging them and trying to push us to a board(s) that are expensive, hard to build, a nightmare to control, etc.

Yes , the table can be a look of a rear wing, give it some paint perhaps.
    Otherwise, well done, you are moving sim wise, finally.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Ok some profile refining in need but to finally see motion, well done, to me the motors need more juice then they are getting, you spot quiet a wallow when the roll throw back and forth. But could be they way your profile is.
    Dam good effort mate , lovely to see my old winch idea still getting sims moving on the cheap, supply enough amps and they will toss you out of it, quiet easily. Been there, been tossed from seat to floor, not funny.
  14. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Rob. What settings would you recommend altering?
  15. MagicEdge

MagicEdge Active Member Gold Contributor

Aircraft Technician
    Balance:
    1,327Coins
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Rene', Here are pics of my projects. They are Namco Magic Edge Simulators. Inside will be the DCS A-10C cockpit builds. A lot of operating system has be done. Hydraulics are in work. My travels in aviation keep me away from what is really my heart desires. Recently the third simulator was purchased and next week to jumpseat to pickup the remaining control hardware and later to drive and get the simulator. Lots for groovy game gear boards, EPIC boards and Comtrol PCI card to make the most realistic motion simulator posible. Soon will be need of SimTools with DCS plugin to get the simulators in motion for testing. Simulator pic.jpg Simulator pic 1.jpg
  16. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    OH DROOOOOL................!
  17. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    What a beast:) @MagicEdge When it comes to start of your project you should open a separate thread than with your A10 Thunderbolt Warthog:thumbs
  18. MagicEdge

MagicEdge Active Member Gold Contributor

Aircraft Technician
    Balance:
    1,327Coins
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ok! Thanks for the invite. Everyone continue on.
  19. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I had disassembled the 2DoF platform to use the parts on my 6DoF project. But I found that the winches were a different size which put my movements off on the 6DoF platform. So I purchased the matching type of winches for that project and decided to rebuild my 2DoF platform. I also did not want to share controllers on one platform, it was easier to make two platforms than make modifications to the 6DoF to swap out controllers. The 6DoF will be for flight and this one is for driving.

Excuse the plywood, it is for prototyping purposes. I am going to make the base layer out of steel as soon as I have the bugs worked out.

I added a third layer (base layer) so I could add traction loss. The third winch motor works good for traction loss but this axis really would benifit from a faster motor. I might replace the winch with one of my old 24v wheel chair geared motors running in order to increase the reaction time. @SeatTime has a great idea using chain drive for traction loss and these motors would be perfect for that. I also have experience with chain drive on my DIY CNC router table. Here are the pictures of the prototype base platform for traction loss. It is pretty crude but quick to put together.

The universal direction castors mounted under the second layer platform, they ride on a steel plate attached to the base platform (plywood):

IMG_0636.JPG

The entire rig:

IMG_0637.JPG

The connection method for the third winch is, again, crude but quick to set up and does work pretty well.

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG
    Note the green goop to cover the exposed contacts on my HP 700GB server power supplies. I know myself, I would have dropped something metal across those contacts if I had not protected them ;)
    The goop is liquid electrical tape, just brush it on (or dribble a lot like I did, lol) and in an hour complete protection.

Everything for layer two of the platform is mounted on that layer, the winches, Arduino, Chinese Moto Monster, and power supply.

IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0639.JPG

An action video will be forthcoming.

I spent the entire day playing Asseto Corsa and No Limits Roller Coaster today! :D
    • Like Like x 6
  20. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    +1 well done Historiker and thanks for these detailed pictures!
    looking further seeing the video too