1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 12v Winch Motor Driving Simpit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Historiker, Jul 23, 2013.

1. terry wells

terry wells Active Member

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Ok, so I figured it out some what, seems that I need to purchase a three turn pot. Did that, however I must have not noticed that they are only 2 K, still will not work. My actuator arms are 6 inches and I need to move them a total of 9 to 10 inches. (4.5 to 5 inches from center). Will a 10 turn/ 10 K pot work? If I were to change the Max Limits and the Clip Input settings in SMC3 utils, would that make a difference in the movement of the actuator arm? see picture above of my set-up. I now have two of these motors (one for roll and one for pitch.)
  2. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    :popcornCan anybody who has knowledge of winch motors respond to any of these questions? :sos
    Thank You.
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Ardunio knows 256 different positions of the potentiometer. If you use much less positions, you have less positions for the needed turn, which makes the turn jerky (small steps between the positions). So it is important you use nearly the complete bandwidth of your pot (~80%).
    No, Max Limits has nothing to do with with your "standard" movements. The most important settings are PWMmax (speed of the motors), Kp (lower or faster turns) or PWMmin to drive the motors to their target position. [DELETED]

For what I did understand your levers or motor arms are too fast and the "move" too short...if the levers are too short and the motors would be strong enough you can extend the levers. I did so as well to get the best between speed, force and maximum possible load of my motor driver. Perhaps you can show a short video of yours? (PS: not from you of course :p )
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  5. jthiani

jthiani Member

Balance:
    588Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    very nice thread ......
  6. jthiani

jthiani Member

Balance:
    588Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    what is the progress on this project ??
  7. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Well,. my motion platform is working however we never did figure out why it would not work with helios running so I kind of went away from DCS and now I am using it with FSX along with their gauges and it seems to be working ok, needs a little tweaking. I am in the process of building interchangeable dash boards to setup with the different aircraft that I am flying. I believe that with the winch motors I will be able to have a two seater (side by side) with dual yokes I hope to at some time have three motors with "HEAVE". The pictures are of my DCS Black Shark KA-50
    001.JPG 004.JPG
    • Like Like x 3
  8. jthiani

jthiani Member

Balance:
    588Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Very impressive setup .... where in MN are you ??
  9. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Central, 100 miles north of the twin cities
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Sorry, still building our house. I hope to be back into the hobby by this fall. We have four more weeks before the house is certified for occupancy but of course there will be a couple of months of small details to finish off.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hey @Historiker ... need any help "just tell me " :grin .
    Good to hear the good news ... :thumbs
  12. Edson Lourenço Bezerra

Edson Lourenço Bezerra Edson Bezerra - Desenvolvedor Open Source

Analista de Sistema
    Balance:
    147Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Mr. greetings
    How big is your platform and because I Napo adapting the platform lcd?

hug
  13. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    It's Done! Today is the first day of my new found freedom from construction. The wife gave me the entire day to just play so what was the first thing I did this morning? Yep, I constructed a new linkage for my traction loss motor and set the motion pit up!

Now, having seen Pit's threads on MM and his winch motors, I think I will rebuild the pit using better hardware :D

By the way, I fired up iRacing for the first time this year and bought the Holden Commodore......that car will Murder you. Not just kill you accidentally but actively try to Murder you, lol. I am loving it.

The problem that I was having with my traction loss motor was how to connect it to the platform. I had tried a simple chain connected in the middle to the motor from each side, this worked but the chain would stretch or break (now that is violent motion!:) ). I was going to try Seattime's excellent example and build a roller chain system but last night (while planning my first construction free day since April 7) the solution hit me. It was so simple that I feel a little stupid to be honest. I used the same linkage from the traction loss motor that I did for the other motors, but rather than going up to the shoulders I simply mounted it on the right side of the platform base. DoH! Easy.

EDIT: After surfing the forums I found that @Pit had already come up with this idea, of course his is neat and tidy compared to mine :)

20150815_171637.jpg 20150815_171716.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  14. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Love it, Even with the Metal shaving's in the foreground.... :thumbs:thumbs
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @Historiker glad your back ! your builds gave me the inspiration for my 3DOF and my 6DOF , cant wait to see what you do with your 6DOF :)
  16. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks guys, I was so excited about getting back to my motion pit that I posted the pictures without cleaning up. The shavings are from mounting the brackets to the frame. But I could tell people that my rig is so violent that it is tearing itself apart, lol. :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks goes to Pit for showing me some closeups of his winch conversion. While I do not have easy access to bicycle parts I do have a few flange bearings and some 5/8" steel round stock. I turned the round stock down to 1/2" so it would fit through the bearing and would act as a natural stop to keep the shaft from sliding out the end. The small gear slides out and it was easy to weld it to the end of the shaft. I bore a 1/4" hole (close match for the one in the gear) so that when I welded them together a drill bit shaft kept them aligned. I am out of flat stock so will have to wait a bit to make the lever. If this works out I will make two more (got a great deal on three at Harbor Freight) and replace the sloppy boat winches on my motion platform.

20150818_135139.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    hi @Historiker great solution! Why I used bottom brackets: the weight on the axle was absorbed by the bracket and was not lying on the gear to reduce the noise of the planetary gear.
  19. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    My winches do not have the other two rods (brackets?) So I. Could not use them I do see you piont though. I have one motor completed and ready to test, but since I am pretty sure all will be well I am going to complete a second motor as well, that way I can mount them immediately after testing. I lost yet another cheap 10 turn pot the other day from side force issues so I really want to get these changed over. I am using the hall effect continuous rotation pots for the new winches connected via a direct linkage.
  20. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    No flex couplers for safety ?