1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 12v Winch Motor Driving Simpit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Historiker, Jul 23, 2013.

1. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,888Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for this story!
    That sounds really great :)
    And with cables and one gear removed, it should be quieter (the video will be great)
  2. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    Great story grandpa!

:D

You saved yourself money and time with this solution, good example for people with winches.
  3. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,637Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 8 / -1
    Hi @Historiker, very nice work indeed. Can you provide some more details about how you did the writing/logos. I have been wanting to do similar on mine but haven't yet decided if to carefully paint them or somehow make labels. I am currently thinking about using water transfer labels?

If I can get a result as neat as you I will be very happy. Great work! :grin
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Rufus, I have a vinyl cutter machine. This makes it very easy to create graphics. The easiest way might be to print on paper what you want and then use a pen knife to cut out the graphics with vinyl stuck to the back of the paper.
  5. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    My cooling solution for the server PSUs. Neat, tidy and above all....SHINY. :cool:

I simply folded some aluminum flashing material (for roofing) into a couple of boxes that fit over the end of the PSU, attached a couple of 80mm PC fans and off we go to the races.

IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0689.JPG
  6. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    And, as promised, the video:

Yes, I know....I need practice, lol.

I cannot stress enough how much more immersive it is with traction loss. It was well worth the little extra effort to add it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice job, the "drift" frame set up is a good idea the way you set it up. That makes it cheap. nice motion as well. Head tracker is really for 3 screens I think, not one screen
  8. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,490Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Thx 4 sharing! Looks gr8 ur sim w TL!:thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
  9. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    I would say that it is more useful to people with one screen cause they have pretty limited view and headtracking allows them to freely see what is left and right, the things you can already see with three screens. Three screens with good FOV basically remove the need of headtracking, speaking of driving sims, for flying sims I guess headtrack is good for both triple and single screen setups.

@Historiker
    I'm noticing that traction loss is moving you left/right even on straights with high speed where it doesn't seem that you're losing your car's back end. Is it set-up right? For traction loss only or also for car orientation?
    The rig is moving good btw, I thought winches where slower, but here they move nice.
  10. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks gents

Yes, head tracking is excellent for single screens. It allows you to expand your view without the need for two more screens. Unfortunately Assetto Corsa has a very narrow view available at this time. In iRacing you can literally look over your shoulder with head tracking, it is much more natural in that game. In flight sims head tracking really shines, for me I would never play a flight sim again without it. Racing sims, to me, seem so lacking in immersion due to the lack of freedom of head movement. iRacing, again, comes closest.

@prodigy I have sway slaved to the traction loss axis. I like how it mimics the side force you get at high speeds with even a little steering input.

You can not really see it but there is a constant rumble that the winch motors deliver to the platform, it makes the entire thing vibrate constantly and small road bumps are felt. As you can see, large road bump (you know....curbs...other cars and suchlike, lol) are really delivered to the spine :grin
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Agree, the big movement tables are really worth the effort, turned my surge table off yesterday to tune some of the other axis and I missed it straight away - braking just felt dead.
  12. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have been thinking of your surge table and how I could incorporate one myself.
  13. vawriss

vawriss New Member

Balance:
    262Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Anything is possible, but it is simpler if you design it for one at the start. Hate to see you sidetracked from your 6DOF :).
  14. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I go back a forth between projects as you might have noticed. My wife says that I have a focus problem, lol.

Right now my focus is in getting her to allow me to put the sim in the house. We have a five bedroom house with three people living here. There are three unused bedrooms (and a library) upstairs that I could convert into a "Man Cave" but she is very touchy about messing with those rooms. :) She points out, rightly, that I have a 1500sq foot shop to play in "why do you need more?", hehe.
  15. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,888Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Maybe a psychological approach?
    "I only need YOU" and next "by the way, if my sim is inside the house, I could see you more quickly as soon as I stop using my sim !"
    <3
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just be a good boy and tidy your room.
    And yes I understand about bringing things into the house, even though I do the cleaning.
    Explain to her the workshop is for building, the man cave inside the house is for testing, and yes, Mats right, you would be closer to her.
    And with bringing the sim into the house, maybe something like the desk racer I built may be appeasing to her. Compact.
    Mind you, when is a woman ever happy..........;)
  17. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,572Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    When she's shopping for things she likes with her friends and thinks she has an unlimited credit card where she doesn't have to worry about paying the balance! :eek:

Edit: Oh yea! I forgot to mention I divorced that one! ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  18. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I added some controllers today to my pit, it is starting to look....busy :)

I wanted a sequential shifter mounted near the wheel but the aftermarket units are a bit expensive. So I modified an old hydraulic controls joystick that I had laying around the shop into a sequential shifter...it was a very easy controller to make. The E-Brake unit is a left over short throw gas spring and potentiometer. I cut the framework out on the CNC. But units are connected to the button box via telephone cables. I wanted plugs that had a positive lock, I hate the PS2 plugs that Fanatec uses; they work themselves loose after a while. The button box has 28 inputs (including the six position rotary) and two analog inputs.

The controller inside the box is a Teensy++2.0 micro controller configured using GenericHID software. It will do up to eight axis' and an unlimited number of buttons with big enough matrix's but I am using the easy to wire 32 inputs (no matrix needed) and only three of the analog inputs. The controller is 10bit so I get 1024 steps on each axis so it is pretty precise.

The handle for the sequential shifter is a chunk of aluminum that I had laying around, a few minutes with the lathe helped to to look a little more like a real shifter knob.

IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0695.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I am adding two more monitors (TVs). I had purchased a new one for the 2DoF, this way I would have one for each platform but the other day I found that the same monitor as the last one that I purchased was on sale for 142.00(!?) and I just could not pass it up. It should be soon and I will have it mounted up, etc.
  20. boosted-lt1

boosted-lt1 Member

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Are you going to use then (3) 32" TV's? Any reservations or thoughts about max weight with 2 Winches?