1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

MMOS controller with cheap servo drive and motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by sikjar, May 22, 2017.

1. Nerd+

Nerd+ New Member

Balance:
    174Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi Folks,
    I've been lurking around here for a while, I keep an eye on whats happening in the land of stepper sim wheels.
    Now I was involved with a project on hackaday.io

https://hackaday.io/project/44385-smoothstep-force-feedback-steering-wheel

I wasn't the owner but I was the hardware guy, and I did get the thing up and running. It is me doing bad laps of brands hatch in the demo video

I'm keen to try out different ideas. I'd be quite happy to ditch MMos and try openFFB on a stmF407 dev board. Also I'd like to try the cheapo servo drive system. The main problem with my initial stepper drive is it has no fail safe in the code. I stripped out as much as possible to get the loop speed up. currently running at 28Khz it is true real time field oriented control using a 3 phase inverter dev board. so that' measure the electrical angle, read the required torque value, calculate the currents for each winding, measure the current in each winding, compensate error in each winding, then apply this current to each winding in real rime.

Problem is I'm no software engineer, I know enough to get by but, don't know how to build in safety features or develop it further so I don't have to run the whole thing from the debug window in the dev software. Any softies feel like helping out?

Matt
  2. Simone Aliberti

Simone Aliberti New Member

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been trying to self build my DD steering wheel following this guide, I managed to interface the arduino board and stm in fact I can use the steering on ACC, but I have a very big problem, I can't to interface the hbs860h drive of my stepper motor with the pc, so I cannot enter the values indicated in this forum, the result is that the stepper motor blocks and cancels any resistance from it. I tried everything, I bought both the cable with built-in usb adapter and the cable with db9 output for the pc board, every time I try to pair them the pc doesn't see the serial connection with the stepper motor drive. Maybe it's the drive output that doesn't work, I'm thinking of replacing it, but first I'd like to ask some advice from you. It's a nice project I would like to see it work properly. Help me.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      142.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      130.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      135.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      293.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      255.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      243.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      276.3 KB
      Views:
  3. sikjar

sikjar Xiao Nie

Translator
    Balance:
    812Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Maybe there is a problem with the cables you are using to connect the PC to the driver. The first one I bought didn't work, then I bought one of better quality, and that worked OK. Also, the cable that you plug into the hbs860h is not a standard cable, the connection is specific for the driver. Best thing is probably to get that part of the cable from the company that sold you the driver.
    Also, the software you use to change the servo driver settings has to be specificly made for the driver, best thing would probably be to get that also from the company that sold you the driver.
    Just a few suggestions, hope it helps...
  4. Simone Aliberti

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    The cables I bought and tried are these: https://www.ebay.it/itm/122205872119 and this but none of them worked.
    The software i used i got it on this site https://mecheltron.com/en/software-archive HBS_English_setup 2013-03-22.rar.
    But the software has little to do with it as the PC in device management does not detect any connected serial.
    Could it be that it is not compatible with windows 10 or am I talking nonsense?
  5. Simone Aliberti

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
  6. sikjar

sikjar Xiao Nie

Translator
    Balance:
    812Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I am not an expert at all, but it seems to me if Windows 10 doesn't register the USB to RS232 Cable at all, then there is a problem either with with Windows or the cable. Maybe you need to install some Windows driver to use the cable, but I guess when you plug in the USB to RS232, at least Windows should register an 'unknown USB device'?
  7. Simone Aliberti

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    The usb cable is recognized by windows and all the required drivers are updated, but the driver of the step motor is not detected, I tried to change the PC but I have not solved it, I know that in order not to abandon the project I have to buy a new driver for the my engine, I thought I was taking hbs86h same as the one you used in your project
  8. sikjar

sikjar Xiao Nie

Translator
    Balance:
    812Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
  9. Simone Aliberti

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Nothing, I tried it but the serial link is not recognized.
    Thanks anyway
  10. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Many of these cheap stepper drives, are missing the RS232 interface chip inside, even if they have the rj12 connector... they won't connect to PC no matter what.

IMG_20200827_044610.jpg

IMG_20200827_044954.jpg

Thanks
    Thanos
  11. Simone Aliberti

Balance:
    73Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I checked, it seems that the RS232 interface is there, I'm waiting for a new driver to arrive

Attached Files:

12. PEB

PEB New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 78Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Beginners question I am using a quick release hub how do I mount it on servo motor? Thank you.