1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Preliminary Research & Prototyping (6DOF & Linux)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Apocrathia, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Apocrathia

Apocrathia New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    6Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so I've recently started looking into building a 6DOF Stewart platform to use primarily with X-Plane. You guys have some amazing projects, and I'm still trying to make sure I understand how to approach this correctly. Right now, my plan is to build a small prototype and get it hooked into the simulation. Start small, verify functionality, then scale. However, I've got a few questions to start with:
    • From what I can tell, SimTools (which is the primary focus of this community) is solely a Windows application. Has there been any success in running it under Wine or any intentions of porting? I know it's all built on .NET, but Microsoft did just open source .NET recently. It may be something to look into as Linux gaming is becoming more and more of a mainstream thing.
    • I've noticed that the main configuration of X-Plane is done via the data outputs to get data streamed over UDP to the platform. With SimTools, this is sent from the app, to the loopback (or wherever SimTools is running), then to the actual controller. My understanding is that SimTools acts as a translation layer from the datastream to motion. Is this correct?
    • Farfetched: Could you feasibly run the simulator as a networked device, and stream motion to it via a UDP protocol? This could in turn allow you to run multiple platforms either synchronously or asynchronously (individually). Pairing a Raspberry Pi with an Arduino could allow you to have the combination of both a soft realtime supervisor and a hard realtime controller on the platform itself.
    Right now, I'm still gathering ideas, and trying to get a viable concept written down. My big requirement is it all has to run on Linux. However, it's obvious that there are people here who are way smarter than I am, so I would love to see what you all have to say.
  2. psymin

psymin New Member

Balance:
    188Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd love to see a solution for using motion sims without using Windows.

If you've made any progress in this direction, please share!
  3. psymin

psymin New Member

Balance:
    188Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've had some preliminary success with SimTools running under Crossover 19 (wine).

I don't have a sim rig yet. Hopefully I can verify it works before ordering a motion simulator.

It required .Net 4.0 and .Net 4.6 to be installed in the bottle.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    What games/sims are you going to use?
    Are they run in a Windows system on another PC?
    Or in Crossover?
    Or is it something for Linux?

Because in my program, I thought of making something to compile for Linux, but since there's almost no games worth in Linux (from what I know), I decided to leave it.

Can you point me games in Linux with telemetry. Really asking, no irony, because I really don't know.
  5. psymin

psymin New Member

Balance:
    188Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For Windows games on Linux I'd *hope* that both the game and simtools could be functional within the same Proton/Wine/Crossover "bottle".

Otherwise I'd be relying on PCI-Passthrough and virtual machines.

I'm a novice when it comes to motion simulation and how to extract telemetry data from games.

Games like War Thunder have telemetry data for Windows that SimTools can receive and/or extract, and it does run on Linux. I'm not sure if that data is accessible on Linux or not.