1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question So 1080ti or 2080 ? next card for next two years or just wait for AMD?

Discussion in 'Virtual Racing League' started by PIM1, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Member

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    I would not buy the 10 series new anymore, 20 series it is. The secondhand market will have a lot more cards from the 10 series now, very attractive to buy them second hand.
  2. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    well, ill try 2080ti. Not impressive under 1080ti. So stay on 10 series for + 1 year. Better prices, excelent results, no burns problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Member

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    What do you mean with burn problems?
  4. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    I upgraded from 1080 to 1080ti. Sold my 1080 for 400 and got a new 1080ti for just 650 euro (all gigabyte windforce)

Pretty good deal imo. I was waiting to get my hands on the 20180ti but the price and not so big gain forced me to this route and i am very happy. Preformance gain from 1080 to 1080ti is pretty big. 30/40 frames in 2d on some games. Now i can upgrade the mobo and cpu before the end of the year. Probably i7 9700k 8 core

5. Kranky Pantz

Kranky Pantz Active Member

Balance:
    1,247Coins
    Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    I'd wait until nVidia sorts out the high defect rate of the 20xx series GPU's.

Hopefully by then prices may come down to more reasonable levels.

Plus with the Bitcoin crash & mining now taking a back seat, things are looking up for both new & used GPU availability.

RTX doesn't appear to be ready for prime time, as they are still drastically underperforming whenever ray tracing is enabled.

Perhaps wait it out if you already have a decent enough GPU such as your GTX 1070, which should get you through until things settle down.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Member

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    Oh, did not saw the 2080 problems, looks quite serious.

The RTX is more of a problem to me, you can not use the RTX functionality (there is nothing that can use the RTX module), and if you could, the real-time performance is rubbish compared to the graphics we are used to. The technology is extremely cool, but it requires to much computing power at this time.
  7. Marcelo Figueiredo

Marcelo Figueiredo New Member

Balance:
    248Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    And don't forget the new MSRP vs 10x msrp.
    Is much more than the upgrade.
  8. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2080 for sure. new features like DLSS
    Lying at the heart of the RTX 20-series is Nvidia’s Turing GPU. Borrowing much of the same fancy gubbins as Nvidia’s professional Quadro RTX cards, including its RT Cores (or ray tracing cores), Tensor Cores (which are all to do with AI and deep learning bits and pieces) and Streaming Multi-processor (or SM processor, for short), the RTX line is as much about new technological features as it is about raw performance.

Accompanying the Turing GPU is a rather hefty dollop of GDDR6 RAM. The RTX 20-series will be the first graphics cards in the world to take advantage of this super fast memory, beating AMD’s Navi GPUs well and truly to the punch. With at least 8GB of the stuff at their disposal, this should definitely help lift the cards’ respective speeds compared to their immediate predecessors. On 4k res or VR the gain its under 12-16% up to 1080ti.
  9. Marcelo Figueiredo

Marcelo Figueiredo New Member

Balance:
    248Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    This is different from the reviewers are saying.

https://babeltechreviews.com/the-rtx-2080-vs-the-gtx-1080-ti-in-vr/3/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-1080-ti-benchmarks-performance-features-7001

The 20xx needs to be better cards. But worth the price Increased? I don't think so.

I will still with my 1080 while there is nothing really attractive in the market. Like the 1080 was compared to 980.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Member

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    I don't get excited by marketing terrms and fancy names, I measure performance and look at the price and the RTX2080 does not deliver.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Only new games will take the the new Ray Tracing technology, we are or most of us are running games which are years old which do not and probably will not benefit from the new features. 1080ti is a best bet for at least another year, only game there is that with use RT is ACC which is a mile from being anywhere near completed
  12. Cantago_NL

Cantago_NL Member

Balance:
    412Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    The problem is, even games that can use ray-tracing look crap because the 2080ti is far from strong enough to drive the ray-tracing technology to a level where it is visibly better. Ray-tracing is the way to go, but it needs a lot more power to make a difference.
  13. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,795Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    <2cents>

Going from a 970 to a 1080 was next generation for me, but going from a 970 to a 1080ti (at the time) was not worth it.

A 1080ti only gives about 7-10% performance increase on a stock 1080 for about a 50% premium in $$

I can't comment on the 2080 at all, but given the current crop of games seem to settle at 144fps as "the norm" - a 1080 / 1080ti will lap that up all day.

</2cents>
  14. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2080 for shure. technologies and render for VR and DSLL its a way better than old generation. im using 2080 and results are stunning ( sell my 1080ti on nov 2018 )
  15. Ming2he

Ming2he New Member

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Has anyone tested the RTX2060? I hope the RTX2060 can run smoothly on the vive pro.
  16. F22raptom

F22raptom Member

Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Holy shit I literally just ordered one today. Lowest end card I've ever bought (watercooled 1080 ti, then water cooled vega frontier which caught on fire). I wouldn't even consider anything less than a 1080 ti with VR. It would exhaust so hot you would burn your hand if you left it against the case (egpu, so akitio node case at the time). But frames were amazing. I got the 2060 only because it's the "Best value" card and I'm sick of high end crap shitting itself. Also didn't go with high end this time because not really planning on gaming or serious work for a few more years anyway. But back on topic - VR is a bit hopeful. I'd spend another $150 and get a used 1080, or even $200 and try get a used 1080 ti. Which are STILL faster than a RTX 2080. I only got a 2060 for the 3 year warranty, really. By the time I'm ready for VR again (and my sim is done), hoping new HTV Vive extreme pro will be released and 30 series of RTX cards.

2060 adequate for VR is really hopeful despite them advertising it as much. But I only use high end stuff normally - which would be a vive pro and a 1080 ti. Maybe oculus would be ok with it? It all depends. Vive pro I doubt it, 2060 is ok for 1080p, 60 frames or some crap. Vive pro pushes more pixels and needs 90 frames a second, "dual screens". Don't cheap out on a card if you have good equipment.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ming2he

Ming2he New Member

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I understand, thank you for the analysis, perhaps I should also consider the advanced display card, if 2060 can't make the vive pro smooth
  18. Ming2he

Ming2he New Member

Balance:
    212Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    by the way, i'm using gtx970 right now:p
  19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Active Member

director
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    I’m getting by just fine in VR with 980ti
    I simply turnoff shadows in everything for good performance

Nvidia 20-series cards was a disaster for nvidia
    Cost to performance is terrible & I have zero interest in rtx

I’m holding out for new offerings later in 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mike Stuart

Mike Stuart Member

Balance:
    383Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    So with the new patch in iracing using the SPS from nvidia, the 1000 and 2000 series cards are blowing the amd cards out of the water. If you irace, its worth looking into. I gained about 12% performance on my 1080.
    • Like Like x 1