1. You must be a registered member to be able to access this page and to download game plugins. Please register here. It´s for free.
  2. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  4. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  5. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules
JBoogie

GameEngine output testing tool 1.0

Simple perl script which displays GameEngine output to the terminal

1. JBoogie
    One of the big unknowns for me initially was what exactly was output by the GameEngine and fed to the microcontroller, so I wrote a super simple little perl script to capture the output and print it to the screen so I can actually see it. Hopefully this is helpful to others down the road if they have the same kinds of questions.

This perl script acts as a simple UDP socket server. It simply opens a socket, listens for UDP packets on port 2424 and prints out the messages it receives. To make the output a bit more readable, I am only printing the output when it changes.

In order to run this utility, you need perl on your computer. For Windows, you want ActivePerl. Note: I had to change the file name from simTest.pl to simTest.txt in order to upload it. Just change the extension back to .pl and then perl will recognize it. To run it, open a cmd prompt, browse to the directory where you have the script and run it by typing 'perl simTest.pl'. Now open GameEngine and setup the Interface Settings for output type of Net, IP address of 127.0.0.1 and port to 2424. (see attached screen shot of Interface Settings for an example) Now when you turn on Output Testing, you should be able to move the sliders around and see how the output changes. If all went well, you should see something like this:

C:\JB\Sim\GameEngine Test Tool>perl simTest.pl
    Output from SimTools: R127L127-startup
    Output from SimTools: R127L127
    Output from SimTools: R128L127
    Output from SimTools: R129L127
    Output from SimTools: R130L127
    Output from SimTools: R131L127
    Output from SimTools: R131L126
    Output from SimTools: R131L124
    Output from SimTools: R131L122
    Output from SimTools: R131L121
    Output from SimTools: R131L117
    Output from SimTools: R131L116
    Output from SimTools: R131L115

Cheers!
    -JBoogie

Images

1. InterfaceSettings.png
    eaorobbie, markus, Celk and 1 other person like this.