1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tronic's DIY USB_to_RS485 adapter (SCN5 compatible)

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by tronicgr, Nov 28, 2008.

1. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi to all,

I just finished testing my DIY USB_to_RS485 adapter from my part (without scn5 attached yet). Next step is to send one of these adapters to Sirnoname test it with a SCN5 motor.

DIY_USB_to_RS485_v1.0_photo1_sm.jpg

DIY_USB_to_RS485_v1.0_photo2_sm.jpg

I did loopback tests with simple text thru hyperterminal, and even transfered files thru one adapter to the other with success in every possible speed available. It worked flawless even with 1Mbps connection speed!!!!!!!! :eek:

Here is a list of speeds I tested it with:
    115200 bps
    230400 bps
    460800 bps
    921600 bps
    :yippiee:

Latest version v1.1:
    DIY_USB_to_RS485_v1_1_combined.JPG.gif

I had introduced the board and some info about it in the link below:

post9152.html#p9152
    post9142.html#p9142

But I might have to revisit the layout a little, as I noticed that Sparkfun has changed the pinout and the spacing of their FT232R breakout board lately:

old_FT232RL_Breakout.jpg
    new_FT232RL_Breakout.jpg

Regards, Thanos
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The enable control for the Send direction is done by the FT232R chip!!!!!! Also the Receive direction control is done by the FT232R chip automatically!!!! This means that will enable the listen mode as soon it stops sending data. 8)

The 74HC32 is just an OR gate that prevents the data from being echoed back to receive line. I removed it as I found it unnecessary in the tests. I believe that you can program the x-sim software module for the SCN5, to automatically remove the echoed data if you haven't done yet so!

Send me you mail details in PM (address, postal code, etc...) when you can... :thbup:

Regards, Thanos
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just had a crazy idea...

I could place a RS485 transceiver on AMC1.5, in place of the max232 circuit and its serial port to have it communicate with my DIY USB_to_RS485 adapter... The data would be still normal serial thru USO!!

I can imagine more than one RS485 AMC controllers driven on the same line, like mini network! I could try it to see if the speed reaction is decent. Then I could establish a network protocol to have each AMC with selectable address.

Anyway, I did some more testing with the hardware echo off remover (74HC32) in place and works fine too. In this case I can't see what I type on the sender terminal, but I can receive the typed data ok on the receiver terminal, and vice versa... I'll send it any day now.

Regards, Thanos
  4. hoopstar

hoopstar when 10/10ths isn't enough..

Electronic Engineer
    Balance:
    49Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys

First post here, so be gentle :)

As I gather information, I look at the various options of piecing together my own SCN5 Frex style sim - part of that research looks at not just the best way of doing things, but also the cheapest.. :yippiee:

I have found another (cheaper) option to the FT232R breakout board from Sparkfun - Fundemental Logic's Iduino board comes pre-soldered with the FT232R IC. It's not a massive saving ($5.14), but when you factor in that you need to build two USB - RS485 adapters, the cost saving starts to look better ($10.28)..

Anyway, hope it helps someone out..

Hoops
  5. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @hoopstar

I don't think you can use the Iduino board for the current project. The sparkfun FT232 module gives access to lot more ports and features of the FT232 chip that are needed.

The Iduino board gives access to only RX - TX ports that is all Arduino needs to communicate thru a serial port protocol.

Thanos