1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Simulated Wind Arduino with SimTools

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ministrinity, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post here. I figured this would be the best place to pose this question I would like to pose a question that could potentially make out sim rigs even more fun with a simulated wind effect for sim racing. After adding this to out motion rigs, the only thing that's missing is the smell of petrol and engine oil to complete the experience! haha.

Anyway, I followed this tutorial

http://fergotech.net/diy-wind-simulation/

and got this wind simulation to work with the Arduino and a custom software only supporting iracing. Is it possible that with the existing arduino code below can work with simTools to support other sims like asetto corsa or Game stock car?

const int outpin = 11;

void setup() {
    Serial.begin(9600);pinMode(outpin, OUTPUT);
    }

void loop() {
    if (Serial.available()) {
    int inByte = Serial.read();
    analogWrite(outpin, inByte);
    }
    }

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated. I'm a total noob with programming. And really have no idea how simtools works to communicate with the arduino.

Thanks!

Nick

This here is my sim setup .

[​IMG]
  2. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    For example,

What kinda startup and shutdown values in interface settings do i need for it to work with speed?
  3. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I don’t know much about Arduino code but if you know the code you posted works already as written then it appears that all it needs from SimTools is an 8bit resolution byte output type number. It should work with any title where the speed value can be extracted. Speed equals wind assuming you are moving straight forward without being in a spinout. Once you get the speed value setup in SimTools, then all that should be required from the interface output would be the axis the speed is on, i.e. <Axis7> unless the Arduino requires a startup sequence first. However, once the game is “patched” to work with SimTools, it may and likely wont work with your d-box software. If you know the control method d-box’s actuators uses, you likely may be able to convert them to work with SimTools also.

BTW In another post you stated,
    What you pay for is their patent only and the fact that d-box is sold through a distribution chain where everyone takes a cut! If their software is so advanced, then why do you need SimTools to make you rig work as you wish? SimTools can do it all already! And for free!! :cheers So I would say SimTools is the more advanced software! Just my opinion though.
  4. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi there,

Thank you for the input. As for axis 7, i can't seem to get a speed output for games like assetto corsa which only has up to 6 axis of the car movement. correct me if i'm wrong, is there some way to derive speed out of those 6 axis?

Currently I put in the correct values in "interface settings" page and the interface-output code, i put in <Axis6> just to test it out first.
    I'm only using SimTools currently with Wind simulation. What happens is d-box still works, and my fans seem to fire up a little bit and it stays constant and not ramping up with game speed. can anybody help me out? Once I get this working I shall write out an easy to follow guide for everyone to try this out, as it really adds immersion to simracing and it's a hell of a lot fun! :)

On a side note, the d-box is a different motion concept in itself that it doubles as a roadfeel vibration device but at a much higher fidelity than what tactile transducers can do. I chose it because it gave me the smallest sim rig footprint and it's foolproof in its setup. Also there was a deal from a guy i couldn't resist as he was selling it to me for less than what I'd budgeted to do my own 2dof diy rig with Sim tools.

I didn't say sim tools is the less advance software here. In fact I think Simtools is much more powerful when it comes to motion configuration. I would like to explore making my own motion sim with a second rig on a f1 tub type rig. At this point i just didn't want to spend too much time fabricating my own parts and researching into building a solid and reliable motion rig. It takes also a lot of time and money to get it done right I'm sure. recently had a friend's rig break on him and he spent about 3k on it. Now he's totally given up on it an went back to a static rig because he couldn't make it reliable enough.

I would like to say a big thank you to the developers for creating Simtools, I'm sure once i get this working I'd be able to appreciate how powerful this software really is. Also thanks for making this free guys.
  5. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    According to the "dash app data" for the plugin for assetto corsa, speed is not yet supported. Since the game itself is in beta, the plugin requires changes often. It may be some time before speed will work correctly.

Glad to hear your d-box software is still working. However, it may be re-patching the game automatically. That would probably make it not work correctly with SimTools then. Maybe yobuddy or value1 can answer that question when they get a chance.

I totally understand that point if you have the money, but don't have the time!
  6. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I was just reading that iRacing's SDK allows for multiple clients. That's probably why your arduino works with d-box at the same time. And maybe why not with other titles unless they allow the same access.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it would be interesting to see if we can get dbox units working with simtools, ask yobuddy on this.
    As for wind fans, it would save farting to create wind.
    Sim breaking can happen, we need to remember that it can be like a real race car, parts will break or come loose after time, regular checking on nuts bolts, etc can help overcome this.
    with your mates $3k sim breaking, is that boons you are talking about? Its an easy fix for him, I have told him how to fix it as it was just a bolt weld breaking. Piece of cake, re-weld the bolt on.
  8. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    The Assetto Corsa plugin actually provides speed [km/h], RPM, gear, shift light, fuel [lt], fuel [%], car model and track name. However it was undocumented and I have added it to the description now.
    I'm not expecting a conflict between d-box and SimTools with AC. I can't verify though.

PS: When you mention @yobuddy or @value1 with a leading "@" then we will be alerted automatically – otherwise we might overlook your post :(
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my thoughts were , could dbox units run directly from simtools?
    @value1 @yobuddy (didnt know I had to do that)
  10. value1

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    No idea. I don't eve know what iterface they have.
    Worx :D
  11. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Okay @value1 you asked for it. I don't always use the @ if I think it can wait until you have time to get around to it! But I'll be bugging you from now on lol! p.s. If I abuse the privilege, just let me know! ;)
  12. value1

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    LOL! If it gets boring there's still this "ignore" button to save my life :D
    ignore.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  13. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    LOL! I expected a response like that so you didn't disappoint! I'll keep that in mind friend!
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is there a nuke button?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Ministrinity

Ministrinity Member

Film VFX Artist
    Balance:
    811Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi Value1,
    Thanks for helping me out with getting all this figured out. It's great to have community support here. I'll be getting a code from @RacingMat and implement this to get it working, however i can't seem to find dash app data in my simtools. Am i missing something or is this still in beta? I would very much like to try this out if it's in beta.

some images of how to obtain that "speed" data and use it in sim tools would be good too. As I've just literally started exploring sim tools 2 days ago. And somewhat of a software idiot. :)
    As with d-box, there's no conflict whatsoever. I actually don't plan to use d-box with simtools software as the d-box software is sufficient for my needs.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  16. value1

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Ministrinity
    There is an additional dash app floating around here but I'm not sure of its state. Ask @yobuddy about it.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    nuke-b~2.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,965 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    I will build in the Nuke functionality with the next forum update. Please use it waise, its limited: Only one nuke for everyone:D
    • Like Like x 2
  19. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Could you please clarify? Will we be able to only get one nuke, give one nuke, or both?:confused:lol. And you'll have to use a different "Nuke" button because I'm not insane enough to post a "live" one! bsft just might use it!:grin
    • Like Like x 2
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as we are way off tangent, I brew my own nukes. And yes I am insane. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1