1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Planning a joyrider build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by JBoogie, Jan 17, 2014.

1. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, SimforceGT
    Hey guys, rather than pollute other threads with all my questions I figured I should just start my own build thread. I am in the planing stages for a pretty traditional 2DOF joyrider build. I am primarily interested in flight simulation, but I am thinking about getting a steering wheel for racing as well.

As of now, I am planning on this:
    -Basic PVC joyrider frame
    -JRKs
    -12v 180w worm gear motors

So far I have purchased the joyrider plans from acesim and am working on finding all I the various components I will need. PVC is the easy part. I have a few questions though:

1. Has anyone used something other than casters for the pivot points? I was thinking of maybe using some bearings from a kick scooter or something like that.
    2. How careful do I need to be with the weight of my seat, monitor, etc? I like the racing seats on eBay but they seem to be made for full size cars so I expect they are pretty heavy!
    3. Any advice on the amount of rotation I should be aiming for?

Thanks guys!
    Hope to have plenty of updates and pics in the near future!
  2. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So I decided to build a little model so I can play around with. She is about 1/10th scale and seems to move fairly well. Tomorrow night I hope to get a couple little mini servos hooked up so I can make her move!
    joyrider_model.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the big worm gear motors should be fine, but a lever of no longer than 60mm is suggested and at the best point of leverage, the edges. Either that or gear down the speed off the shaft to say 70-80 rpm, and or use a pulley system to maximum tilt.
    I think any bearing that holds some weight should do it, a cut down castor wheel of decent size is the popular choice.
    It suggests something like that in the plans.
    The racing seat, do you have an example you can post? some of the sports recliners can be heavy or light.
    Check out value1 thread for his joyrider for some tips.
  4. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thanks for the tips bsft! For the racing seat, I would like something similar to what value1 used. I could build a seat too, but those really nice looking seats make the entire sim look a lot more professional I think!
  5. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I've made some good progress on my little model. Not only have I rigged up servos and got it moving, I hacked RacingMatt's arduino code to drive the servos using input from SimTools!

Oh yeah, I found a hot little model to take it for a spin too :)
    joyrider_model.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
  6. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,525Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Marvellous! Beautiful! :popcorn
  7. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,401Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Looks like i need to sticky my rc model code , it can run upto 6 servos with a little modification.
    Cool idea on model, love seeing them, till mine very few people tried it. Makes the whole build process a lot easier.
  8. JBoogie

JBoogie Member

Pre-sales Engineer
    Balance:
    1,524Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    thanks guys! I'm a hands on learner, so making this little model really helped me visualize how it would need to work. For instance, once I started trying to add the servos, I quickly realized the motor for the pitch really needs to be mounted on the roll frame in order to work. Little things like this will help me plan the full size build much better!

As a bonus, I was able to very quickly get SimTools up and running with FSX so I got a nice little emotional boost from seeing the whole thing working with the real software!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,256Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1