1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2dof to 3dof DIY Seat mover

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Nick Moxley, Mar 3, 2014.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    About $249 each for a Gamer 2 (240v version). http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/buttkicker-gamer-2.html. Thats a good markup from $149 in the states.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @SeatTime , that answered my next question as to how much the buggers are. For that cost, I will look at building my own from an old car speaker.
    @Nick Moxley , people say Australia might be one of the best countries to live in, but at a huge cost.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Off topic slightly, I remember a situation a while ago that the steam website was set up to see which country you are from when checking prices. For the same game bought on line via a US IP, it was half the price for the same game bought on line through a AU IP. Steams first response was shipping costs. Dunno how, they get downloaded electronically.
    Also with internet connections and technology, we have the same gear and costs to install as overseas, but we get hit 50-100% or more in charges. Heck, even my provider wants an extra $15 per month to go from 512k upload to 1mb upload. I managed to find out what they had to do for me to get that. They said we turn a dial.
  4. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    So On Saturday i had my first official test session with 2 "lfe's" on the seat bolts and my Gamer 2 on the seat frame. HOLY CRACKERS!!!!! Thats what i was looking for/expecting from the LFE's. Vibration's that will make your eye balls shake to the point of not being able to read text. One thing i noticed was the LFE's on the seat bolt are in a completely different Fq range than the Gamer 2 on the Seat frame. Kinda cool to be able to cover a larger spectrum of the Low end Stuff.

[​IMG]

I also re did my motor locks, the Bent flat bar i had before would prevent the arms from Dropping down, but wouldn't prevent the arms from Going UP when i sat forward in the chair to reach something. SO i came up with these.

Open

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    great idea with the locks, I have been trying to work something out for a while myself.
  6. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ya I was rather pleased with them myself :p. The hardwood strips have come in quite handy throughout the build of the rig, from the Keyboard mount, the Mouse tray arm and now the motor locks.
  7. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Nice use of hardwood, I will get more of you to build the way that I do eventually! lol :D

Great idea for the motor locks as well. Right now I am using a strip of 3/4" plywood that I tilt up after I am finished using the platform otherwise my rig jerks violently back upright when I turn it on.
  8. james wheeler

james wheeler Active Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Liquid tape is awesome. I fixed my carburetor diaphragm in my Honda vtr1000f. took about 4 coats and a few days to cure but its still holding after a few years now and I ride the snot out of it.
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yupp Definitely comes in handy at times, I just done see the point in sealing up the hot swap connector on the PS as the likely hood of something falling into the connector is Slim to nil.
  10. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Nick, that is understandable. I was actually commenting on my own PSUs at that time as they have very open contacts. The type that you went with are recessed and are pretty well protected. :cheers
  11. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Got me some New Rod ends in today, Wow MUCHOS Better quality VS the Ebay units i first tried. And The best part is they were just as cheap and the exact same threading, So Very little modifying needed. All that needed doing was to shorten the Threaded bolt to allow my motor locks to lock into place.
    These ends also have quite a few more degrees of freedom Vs the Other style Rod ends. So that will be a benefit to not have to use washer's or shims to prevent the ends from binding.

here what I got.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...ight-hand-tie-rod-end-bearing/1559309095.html

and here's them Installed.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Michael Hensen

Michael Hensen Active Member

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    thanks for the link, got them on order right away!
  13. james wheeler

james wheeler Active Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    It's to bad that they don't use PayPal
  14. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:

Agreed but at least with a CC your GUARANTEED to get your products, PayPal can refuse you a refund after X amount of time. CC companies dont follow such a Rule.

Plus Ali Express has its Own Buyer protection with a Full Refund if your order goes missing.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Hensen

Michael Hensen Active Member

C# Software Engineer
    Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I order quite a lot on this Chinese ebay.. but it is perfect.. free shipping in many cases, just need to have patience.. If in a hurry don't go there or pay a lot for transportation!
    Nevertheless, never had any problems, just things I forgot that were in shipping!
  16. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I often order on DX.com (arduino things, switches, ODB2, ...) without any problem.

Your Aliexpress link looks straightforward (like ebay): +1 :)

On Alibaba, I'm often lost among lists with minimum quantity above 50 or 500... or prices between 1$-120$ which requires to ask real prices...
  17. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Like anything tho mat, You have to be a Savy buyer when it comes to Ali or Even Ebay. There's Lots of Crooks out there who will take advantage of people who dont know any better. Like for instance watching "Auctions" End for FAR MORE than it would have been at a Retail level and You would have it RIGHT NOW! Lol its pretty amazing how people get Sooo Involved in the Auction they loose all sense of what the Item is ACTUALLY worth Lol.

Big PLUS to AliExpress, As I understand it, Your GUARANTEED your shipment. Im pretty sure there like a Middleman service (cant remember the real name lol) and basically Ali holds on to the funds and when you receive your item The seller gets his $$

Yes you have to watch for the quantity thing too, Sometimes you find a Price thats UNreal and soon realize its not what you thought it was. lol
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Little update on John's rig. The build is all done just need to play with the PID setting's on these new motor's. Ill have more complete pics next time i swing by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ive Also gotten my Seat belts all sorted out with some spring tension. Im rather happy with it so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice job
    • Agree Agree x 1