1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Xbox Console success

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Gup, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Gup

Gup

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

My plan is primarily PC - and I am new to all this but thought I would share as it is the ONLY way I could get console to work with my motion platform....

I had tried everything else I could find on the forum and elsewhere - though this is what did it.

By the way, I just HAD to get it to work on console as racing buddies can't make the switch to pc and after playing with a motion platform and sitting in it stationary while on console... well you get the idea - a solution had to be found!

Enough dribble... long story short no matter what I did I could not get UDP data to my PC - period.

Not even using Microsofts free UDP Sender/receiver App on both platforms - which is an immensely easy to use testing tool by the way. Inside of the app it confirms which IP each side is using - I had been using the correct ones - though was nice to have the extra confirmation...

Didn't matter which ports I opened, how I went about it.... nothing worked. Until - I decided to see if I could get UDP telemetry from my xbox app at all by installing a separate app for my phone... which incidentally was the point of installing Microsofts free UDP Sender/receiver App... I was getting desperate.

I chose a free one named Sim Dashboard which works with Project Cars 2 on xbox - and using their help tools.... did the one thing I hadn't tried - I switched my xbox from hardwired to the router (I had even previously connected it directly to the pc) - and used the wireless connection instead.

Instant success for the phone app. Then using Microsofts UDP Sender/Receiver app on xbox and pc - adding wireless functionality on the PC as well (I have a dual band router) - I made sure both the PC and xbox were connected to the opposite Band than the wired pc/xbox connection I had been using - and Instant success.

Loaded into SimTools Game Engine - ensured Game Running with Game Manager Project Cars 2 UDP plugin pre turned on to Game Running - Instant success - WITHOUT - having to use Network settings.... I simply used the serial setting. I did not expect this to work - I had seen on the forum tricks using notepad etc where it could work this way - unfortunately did not for me - and fully expected to have to do network settings - but out of curiosity tried this and pleasantly to my surprise worked.... without the need for any notepad or other tricks.... which is nicer as I won't have to switch back and forth between network and serial :)

In the interest of testing - Quit Microsoft UDP Sender/Receiver on both PC and Xbox - still worked :) Needed to make sure this wasn't the stop gap. Oh on that note - I had tried numerous times previously connecting my xbox to my pc and even streaming to my pc via the xbox app to pull the udp data that way - with no success. Running it this way I do not even have the xbox app open on my pc.

Anyway, as much as I want to play with it - time to take the dogs out... they have been very patient.

Am sure will need to tweak settings, but going to see if I can get Dirt Rally 2.0 moving as well after.

To any fellow people who need to get their gear working so they can play with their console buddies and not just PC - good luck! It was a nightmare.... hope this helps. Latency issues? Maybe... should it have worked wired - YES.... but do I care right now? No - at least it works!

One last thing - if you are trying specifically to make Project Cars 2 work from xbox - make sure you go into the game go to options - go to system - configure the games interaction with external apps - ensure UDP is on. I selected UDP Frequency 1 and Protocol Project Cars 2.

I don't think Dirt Rally 2.0 has an option like that on xbox so not sure how that will go....

Best of Luck!
  2. Gup

Gup

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Following my earlier thread, in preparation for trying to get Dirt Rally 2.0 going - I was hoping to use
    @vthinsel tool - vb_udp_receiver.exe - - so I loaded it up with Project Cars 2 now that I know I have that working and something strange happened.

If I load the file prior to running the game with plugin turned on - no motion and no udp data gets pulled. If I load the file after I already have the plugin running and motion going - it flicks on for a moment and I see data momentarily - then it shuts itself down.

Anyway, I do not know if this is an issue peculiar to my setup or this game or whatever - but - I retried the sequence a few times and having this open before turning the plugin on and getting motion going stopped everything from working.

I still plan on using it with Dirt Rally 2 to see if I am getting udp data if I can't get it immediately working - though using as above - loading only after everything should be working anyway.
  3. Gup

Gup

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just realised @vthinsel focuses on playstation while I am aiming for xbox so that might go a long way to explaining it!