1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

X-Sim Overview

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by fred718, Nov 30, 2008.

1. fred718

fred718 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I just discovered X-Sim. Not all information is in English so I am not sure to understand everything. I'll try to summarize what I've seen so far, but please correct-me if I'm wrong:
    - X-Sim is a free motion control software used to interconnect game input to motion output hardware
    - X-Sim main game input is DirectX force feedback signals
    - X-Sim may support external telemetry input for some open games (rFactor, LFS...)
    - X-Sim supports a variety of hardware controllers to activate up to 6 motors

Is my understanding right so far?
    If so, does it meand X-Sim can motion-enable any game (old or recent)?
    Do you have a list of games that works well?
    Do you have a list of supported hardware and how do you support new hardware that is not in the list?

Thanks,
    Fred
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Mostly true, although it takes game output and DirectX information and can feed it to a variety of hardware.

This true in some cases. It depends on what game you are using. X-Sim has game pluginsto extract telemetry data (gforces, RPM's,. MPH) etc.. from some games. In most cases you are better to use this plugin data.

Yes, see above response

Not sure on this one, although I have read posts about folks building 6DOF sims here, so I would guess that 6 is a fair number. I am building a racing simulator, so for my purposes, I am only concerned about 2 motors, specifically the SCN5 actuators.

This is true, although the complexity of the motion is limited based upon whether or not a telemetry plugin is available for the game

There is probably an official plugin list somewhere. Search here for plugin and see what you can find. I have personally tested Race 07, GTR Evolution and rFactor.

Most motion hardware was originally designed for industrial purposes, and supports a serial interface. X-Sim has Universal Serial Output. I do not know much about this, as I am using SCN5 actuators, and SirNoName has built an SCN5 plugin for the software. If you have some hardware that you want to use, I suggest posting it and allowing the community to comment.

Thanks,
    Fred
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    The number of axis is not restricted in X-Sim2.
    But for combined axis you need motion algorithms (for example stewart algorithm for 6DOF hexapods), which are not implemented yet. Standard 2DOF, combined 2DOF, and simple 3DOF like a FD301 are supported already.
    With additional axis you could control some wind generators or whatever as well.

Racing Games:
    - rFactor
    - Live for Speed
    - GTR
    - GTR 2
    - Race
    - Race 07
    - GT Legends
    - GTR Evolution
    - Nascar Racing 2003
    - Nascar Racing 2005
    - Collin McRay Dirt
    - Racedriver Grid
    - Racer (Freeware racing simulation)
    - Grandprix 3+4
    - SBK (motorbike simulation)
    - iRacing
    with Yoda FF scan:
    - Need for Speed
    - Flat-Out

Flight Simulations:
    - X-Plane
    - IL2
    - Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 - X / Combat
    - Falcon
    - Condor soaring
    - Lockon

Regards
    Christian
  4. fred718

fred718 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, thank you both for the answers, it really helps me understand what X-Sim is about. I'd really like to try it.

In fact I just got an SRP-120 motion platform from D-BOX and posted my experience in http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=331859. Someone commented about FFB wheel information and searching about this helped me discover X-Sim. It would be great if I could extend my motion experience to all the titles X-Sim already supports! Are DBOX motors already compatible with X-Sim? If not, is there anything I can do to help? I could contact D-BOX about this, but I don't know what to ask for...

Thanks,
    Fred
  5. fred718

fred718 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reading through the forum and downloading X-Sim, I understand a bit more about it:
    - Yoda, Force-Sender and Plugins are related to GAME INPUT
    - Interfaces are related to MOTION INPUT/OUTPUT
    - Force-Profiler is related to MOTION RULES/GENERATOR
    Am I correct?

In my case, I guess I would be interested in someone creating a 2DOF Interface plugin for my D-BOX actuators. I tried installing both X-Sim (1 and 2) and I notice an extra interfaceplugins folder only in X-Sim2. Are Interface plugins new to X-Sim2 or are they also supported in X-Sim?

In X-Sim 1, I was able to map my steering to X axis easily (Great tool!). In X-Sim 2, I did not know how to do so at first, but I managed to a the appropriate Output 1:1 Math plugin (Very flexible tool!). Which one should I explore most X-Sim 1 or 2?

Is there a developper kit for custom Interfaces?

Thanks,
    Fred