1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Winch Motors and Pot Position

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by stowaway, Feb 22, 2012.

1. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have just got my first Winch Motor and Im a little bit confused where to put the POT.

I am looking at Aldoz sim, and my winch seems pretty much identical to it. However on his, (See picture) it looks like the POT is connected to a cog and that cog is connected to the cog that is directly connected to the Motor.. This cog does 1 entire turn just to move the cog where the arm is connected to about 2mm.. Therefor it would need to do like 100 turns (may be an exageration) So If i connect a POT to that cog it will go way out of range.

How does this work, and cna you get pots that can turn indefinitely (they over turn)

and on a side note, for those aussie out there *bsft* where did you buy the cog that can connect to the POT that connects to the winch..

aldoz.jpg
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    ok mate the cog came from a hobbie radio control shop, about $9.(heli spinal gear)
    In relation to position it is driven from the gear off the main spidle as in pic it allows you to track position alot better i use a 5 turn pot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    alright :)

thanks and thanks. I think I have it all under control now..

I didnt know 5 turn pots exist.. I assume it means it takes 5 spins to get from 0 to max.. which would probably be about right :)
  4. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi! I am not longer using the rc hely gear way. Now I am using another way.
    I weld a little lattice in the winch in a way that my pot is connected to the winch gear and when the gear is turning so my pot turn too.
    was not a easy build.. but with using many precision the result is good.

I not longer using the rc hely gear from eaorobbie cause with full turn speed of the winch gear so my rc hely was losing coordination with the winch gear..
  5. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where did yo ubuy the 5 turn pot? Im looking for 5 turn or 10 turn and they are bloody expensive in australia (expensive being like $30) Futurelec has pots for like 80cents but they are all single turns.
  6. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If possible, could you post some pictures?
  7. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    sure, later when I back to home I will shot some pics about.
    However I am using 10turn pots 'cause my platform legs run is 35cm so I mechanically need a lot of available turns in my pot to afford all the legs run.
    price 13€ for one 10turn pot
  8. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi sirnoname, I can just tell you that when I make rotate my pot so I get a precise and fast response.
    I can't considering myself too expert about to give you a precise answer..

I can tell you that when I use the jrk config utility and I start to turn the pot I get a very precise measurement in the jrk config utility (the jrk config utility can show to you a graph rapresentation of the turn movement with a line that tilt much if you make fast turn and tilt less if you make a slow movement) .

Example : If I slowly turn the pot, so I get a slowly and precise graph rapresentation of the turn.
    When I turn fast the pot so I get a fast, precise and NOT jerking graph rapresentation of the movement.
    I have not the experience and skills to give you a precise and professional answer but I think you can obtain really more precision using (for your platform legs run) a 10 turn instead a 5 turn.
    More turn for same lenght of movement = more precision. I am really near to be really sure about it! :yes:

I can tell you too that I can't use 5 turn pot for my 35cm legs run. I need 10pots.
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well when I first set the winch up with a single turn pot complete with a simple lever between the pot and arm. I found that the scaledback feedback value in the pololu setup software was fluxuating and wouldn't sit still. Because of this i had to use an aggressive pid setting to calm the motor movement, because of the feedback value changing causing the lever to follow it.

[​IMG]

This could be sorted out by increasing the I value in the pid and as well as increasing the deadzone , but his resulted in slowish motion that seem to lag with no fine road surface feeling in the seat.

So I found a 5 Turn Pot at my local RS Components store for $68 each, ya expect gold plated at that price, well gold contacts and internals to be right.

Well just talking about them i found last weekend ones finially playing up 2 years of simming, not too bad but looking for a alternative.

Yes Aldoz i had that problem once but im not spinning as fast or far as you. Would love to see pics.

Once installed all values stayed steady and I can now move the motor one step at a time from 0 -4095 in the pololu software. Where as before it was more like 10-15, so paying for a better pot and using more turn to gain resolution resulted in my sim motion being more refined and more responsive to xsim.

But ya only find this out by giving it a go with a test unit. So buy a cheap pot and a better one and see what gunna work for you.

Ps in a little trick re: attaching a lever or cog to a pot, simple by a large knob to fit ya pot and screw the lever or cog to it. $2
  10. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi dudes, here the pic showing you how I put my pot in my winch.
    The main difficulty is to make right measurement to obtain the center of rotation of the pot perfectly coincident with the center of the winch gear.

If you don't do a perfect precision you can get the pot effort on his turnable part and you can get damage inside the pot in the wire spiral (1 pot damaged before obtain good precision..)

I weld a steel lattice in the winch body, I mount the pot in one side of this lattice and I use iron glue to weld the steel support that have to mantain the cap. This cap is blocked in the pot turning part so the game is done! :)

Attached Files:

11. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very interesting.. I wouldnt have thought that would be better precision but I guess i would be wrong.

Is it possible to use a Hall Sensor to sense the movement in the gears instead?
  12. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I drilled a hole in the steel frame of my winch and installed a 10x turn 50 kΩ potensiometer with a home made 16 tooth aluminum gear on it. It can be adjusted so that there is no backlash what so ever. Gears can be bought from sdp-si.com if you can't make them yourself. They need to be module 2.0 gears. The closer the feedback potensiometer is to the output gear, the better, I would think.

I bought these pots: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... OU:US:1123

Attached Files:

13. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks very much for all the resposne.

Why dont you connect the Pot directly to the cog that the arm is connected to?

(ie see picture)

Attached Files:

• gear.png
      gear.png
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
  14. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Because that won't give enough turns to achieve a good resolution. 1/2 turn of the output shaft with my configuration gives 9,69 turns of the potensiometer.

BTW, those white plastic gears many are using are Module 1.0 Century helicopter gears. I have several of those for my Century Swift helicopter and home made helicopters: http://www.fxaeromodels.com/product_inf ... dvlacd0594
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever guys think of using magnetic sensors??? SS490 + neodymium magnet = precision contact less sensor!!
  16. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi tronicgr, in first I want to take this opportunity to congratulate to you for your work on motion systems!. If today I have a 3dof near to be finished it's just because time ago I watched your vids of your motion system! (and sure a very lot of help in this great forum!) Pure inspiration and really a star to follow! :clap:

To back to the thread, many times I thought about to use sensors instead potentiometers for the feedback position but the matter is a bit far from my experience... :blush: Can you tell us something about these sensors? Have these sensors the same wire connection of a pot?
    Thank you!
  17. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  18. stowaway

stowaway New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reason I didnt go for hall sensors is because I think you have to put a magnet attached to the center of hte gear cog, then put the sensor over the top of that.. But the gears we use, the center doesnt spin..

So Im not sure how it would work, you could put a magnet on the outside, but wouldnt it just go out of range when it was too far away from the sesnor?
  19. tahustvedt

tahustvedt Member

Balance:
    62Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Not a problem. Put the magnet on the end of the output shaft and make a little bracket to hold the sensor. I have a bunch of Allegro hall sensors that I'm going to use in my helicopter inceptors when I finish making them. I bought them with a Leo Bodnar card a while back, and they worked fine when I tested. I thought it would be easier to use a pot in the winch units though as I could just drill a hole and have a compact and robust unit. Perhaps I should change to hall sensors.

The hall sensors wil wire directly to the FB, 5v and ground connections on the JRk, right?
  20. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    correct mate looking at them myself for my unit had another pot drop out but 2 years of use not too bad execpt it $68 for a new one.