1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Will Video Ride Player support VR?

Discussion in 'SimTools DIY Version' started by saucer78, Jan 17, 2017.

1. saucer78

saucer78 Member

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform
    I am THRILLED to hear that 2.0 is including a commercial license, as I've been searching for an affordable programmer for far too long.

I currently have two pneumatically-powered 2DOF simulators that are running on proprietary motion control boards and accompanying software. I do not yet know if SimTools will communicate with my boards, but if it will, I will definitely be interested in purchasing this software. (And I might even be able to replace the current boards with arduinos or similar.)

I've seen that the SimTools store page mentions these Creator and Player features coming "at the end of the month," but I cannot help but ask what people know now.

Currently, my simulator software calibrates and plays a .mpg file alongside the .dat motion file to produce a simulation. I assume that SimTools would have no problem pulling telemetry data from a game engine like Unity3D, but due to the quirky nature of these pneumatic sims, I'm not sure how well it would work. (People in here have told me that this style of sim is pretty innacurate, with the binary nature of the pneumatic valves operating quite differently than more common analog electric motors or actuators.)

I fear I'll be restricted to hand-programming every ride that I create, but am unsure about how this will integrate with a real-time VR environment.

Does anyone know if 2.0 will allow the replay of programmed motion alongside real-time VR? Basically, I'm wondering if I can run a "game" for the multimedia (Unity3D created roller coaster) but run pre-programmed motion alongside it, rather than the real-time telemetry data typically produced by said game.

If this is not possible, I assume it would be easy enough to just use a 360 degree video in place of the VR? I've read that 360 videos are essentially just really big .mp4 files, so hopefully the Video Ride Player would have no problem handling them...

Thanks so much for any help!
  2. VinS101

VinS101 New Member

Balance:
    127Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Did you find a solution to this?