1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Who knew...

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by RandomCoder, Jun 28, 2017.

1. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    how expensive hand reamers are!

I've bought some nice cheap Oilite bushes and mirror polished stainless steel tubing for my build. The bushes are OBF222820 (22mm inner diameter, 28 outer and length of 20mm). The rod is 7/8" diameter (i.e. 22.225mm in metric format). Therefore I thought I'd have a look at getting a 22.5mm reamer to ensure a nice fit. But having seen they range in price from sixty to several hundred pounds I think I'll revert to a little elbow grease or attach something to my pillar drill.

It's not just the parts that soon start to make a hole in the wallet, the tools are just as bad when starting out with only the basics. I've already invested in a mitre saw and a few other hand tools and having seen all the positive comments about 3D printing that's the next item of my wish list. :thumbs

So I guess this thread is a word of warning to others, don't just consider the cost of the parts for your racing sim but also consider the cost of additional tools etc before setting out!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    On the other hand, it's a hell of an adventure! I've learned a lot and it's a big brain exercise to consider all the parts, how they fit and work together, and how to buy, build, or machine them in various ways.

You are definitely right though. I way underestimated what this project was going to cost me. Not to discourage anyone and there are lots of ways to build this stuff inexpensively depending on what you have at your disposal and can do yourself, but there are a lot of hidden costs. It's also easy to get feature creep going. Saw the positive comments about seat belt tensioners and opened up a whole new angle on my project. But I totally recommend a 3D printer. I never had so much use for one as for this project. So here is a pulley frame farm in Fusion 360 for all the turning pulleys for my seat belt tensioner. It's a sickness.

pulleyframes.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PiaMan

PiaMan Active Member

Balance:
    607Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN5, Arduino
    Since starting building my sim ive added almost a complete machine shop. No because i had to but i learned so much building the sim and it was a great project to start and then upgrade as i improved.

Since sim:
    Lathe
    Milling machine
    3d printer
    Cnc router
    Bandsaw
    Shop press
    Plasma cutter

And countless other items. However i dont calculate them into the cost of the sim. The sim was the inspiration to learn so many new skills
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK

You just gotta know where to look for reamers is all
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Reamers/1503094_510544605.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.0eaIPJ

3d printers = Awesome possum and WELL worth the investment if you got the time and effort.
  5. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1