1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Which projector would you choose...

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by julian.bernard, Jan 10, 2011.

1. julian.bernard

julian.bernard New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Now that christmas has passed I've decided it's time for an upgrade. I've read through the 3d discussions posts on here and I'm still unsure whether I should go down the 3d route or opt for a crisp flat screen projection set up (or possibly curved screen??). Firstly I am unsure as to whether rfactor responds well to 3d as I haven't come accross anyone who has played it in 3d. Also I read about the two different types of 3d methods, namely the glass polarisation and the shutter glass set-up. According to what I've read, there seems to be issues in both configurations, ghosting and head movement limitation for the polarisation system and possible health and disorientation side effects with the shutter glass system. I'm still rather tempted though, granted rfactor is capable of running 3d...

I've been looking around for projectors but since there's such a vast selection, I just don't know where to begin. I know that I want a 1080p HD projector with a native resolution of 16:9 as that is what rfactor runs, and relatively short throw and good lens shift properties as the room will not be amazingly large, but am I missing out any crucial characteristics I should be looking out for?

My last idea is running 3 projectors and going for a 180 FOV (or as close as I can get). In this case, what would the resolution need to be for each projector, 4:3? I plan on building a screen myself for any of the configurations...

Here are three projectors which caught my eye:

http://projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/ ... o8200.html

http://projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/ ... -Z800.html

http://projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/ ... W3600.html

The viewsonic seems like a good choice but the DLP and lack of lens shift could be an issue?

Any advice / comments are more than welcome and greatly appreciated,

Kind regards,

Julian
  2. julian.bernard

julian.bernard New Member

Balance:
    22Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0