1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Wheel feedback electrics

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by elnino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,457Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi all, I know this seems to be an infrequently visited part of the forum but i'm hoping that someone here can offer some real information. I have searched this forum and all over the internet but i can not seem to find a good solution to my problem.

Basically, I have designed/made a wheel with an optical encoder as the sensor that is also hooked to a large DC motor (from an electric scooter) and i hope to use it for a simulated force feedback (not actual, more like 'dynamic force')

The Optical encoder and joystick interface is working fine. I am using an Arduino Nano to read the encoder and generate a PWM signal for the motor output. It also sends data to a 'Teensy' (Somewhat of another type of arduino) in joystick mode.

The joystick part of it is all working fine, as is a 31khz PWM signal ready for driving a H Bridge. I made a H bridge which works acceptable at lower PWM frequencies but then it is Audible/vibrates. However, if i bump up the frequency, the force is pretty much 0 until it gets to about 80-90% duty cycle.

The H Bridge i made is based on a HIP4081 H Bridge driver and 4 X STP80NF55 FETS (55v, 80A). Design comes from Nuts and volts - www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol2/col/nv52.pdf and this is the last piece of the puzzle and I don't know if i am better off buying some sort of motor driver or whether some tweaks to the existing H Bridge is all that is needed.

Some on here have talked about 'AMC for $30 on ebay' but i don't know what they are and if i am better off trying to use one of them instead of the DIY H Bridge.

What are those of you with HAPP wheels using to drive the motor???

Attached Files:

2. Mizoo

Mizoo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I am using an AMC to drive my Happ wheel motor, controlled by a home made force feedback board (http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/thr ... ler.37051/).

The force feedback data returned by the games is a torque value, so when you drive a PM DC motor you have to control the current passing through the windings, via a current sensor.

Are you sure that your driver/transistors work with such frequency/current (oscilloscope traces ?) ?

And to avoid too high current ripple (and torque ripple) the PWM frequency of your H Bridge have to match the time constant of your motor.

Finding a suitable FFB motor is really not easy (cogging torque, stall torque/current, speed, cost, ...).
  3. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    What power is your motor and what is the gear ratio ?
  4. Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire "Forever a work in progress"

Electrical/Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +313 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    Hey, this is somewhat in my realm of expertise, so I'll take a crack at it. You say it's working fine at lower frequencies, but not so much at higher frequencies, correct? Is it a sudden drop off? Or does it get slowly worse as you increase the frequency? Do you have an oscilloscope you could look at the gates of the FETs with? What size of bootstrap capacitor are you using?
    It's just a hunch, but the onboard gate drive power supply only supplies 39uA, so it might not be supplying enough to fully charge the bootstrap capacitor to turn on the FETs, or the bootstrap capacitor is not having enough time to charge during the OFF cycle. Try turning the measuring the voltage of the BHB and AHB pins on the HIP4081 during this fault condition. They should be near 12.8V.

EDIT: also, do you have another link for that reference design? That one's not working for me. If the reference design calls for resistors on the gate of the FET, how large are they?
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  5. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Must be the day for it :) = replying to a post from 2012 . Good luck :thumbs.
  6. Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire "Forever a work in progress"

Electrical/Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,164Coins
    Ratings:
    +313 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor
    Doh! How did I not notice that? Guess I thought I must have been browsing the recently posted section :confused: