1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

What is the Ideal RPM at output

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Mazhar Salam, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Mazhar Salam

Mazhar Salam Member

Balance:
    907Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi Guys, In your opinion what is the ideal RPM of a motor at the final output. For a
    a) Flight Simulator
    b) F1 Simulator

I read many posts here where members suggested 180 to 200 RPM. Then I saw a finished 6DoF with 50:1 gearbox output of 19RPM.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    flight, slow
    car race , fast.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Probably 19RPM is too slow for a race rig. Nevertheless the speed of the turns depends how long the lever would be in addiction to the turns. My winches turns 23RMP and the lever is 16cm (!) long. The shorter the lever the faster the motor. The shorter the lever the less forces needed, the less move is expected.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the longer the lever the faster the motion actually, but yes, it can reduce torque.
    I use 40mm CTC levers on my big worm gear motors and it translates to about 300mm per second travel.
    However, @eaorobbie uses the same motors as me but 65mm CTC and gets about 500mm per second travel.
    We find that with the graph in JRK utility. We send the motor from min to max and see how fast it moves in the graph.
    The generic speed recommended for race is minimum 150mm per second travel. That gives reasonable speed and sharp motion for race. Anything faster is a bonus.
    For flight, you can use slower for sure.
    If however, you have motors that move fast for race, they are fine as they will move slower for flight. But using slow motors for flight and then for race is not recommended.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Mazhar Salam

Mazhar Salam Member

Balance:
    907Coins
    Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanku BFST PIT for your response, I took BSFT advice from another post while ago purchased 2 motors with 200-225 rpm output.
    Anyway i feel a first timer should start with a 50 - 100 rpm for a flight and 100 - 150 rpm for a race
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    faster motors should be considered if you ever think of playing a race game on a flight sim. Its easier to slow a motor than to try to speed it up