1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

What hardware is this

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Les, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Les

Les New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I have been reading through the posts for a while now and was about to start building until I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9d4zRs8 ... re=related I would be more interested in building something compatible with the xbox 360 as I already have a setup for use with Forza 3. Does anyone know what motion platform this is, and how its controlled?

Thanks
  2. Les

Les New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just found that it could have been made by D-Box and that Simcarft may be selling a compatible version soon, I read that it's PC based. Is this something that is or could become compatible with X-SIM. I was thinking about making something similar to the wiper motor simulators seen on here.
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Everything is compatible with X-Sim if your willing to do a little work. That's the beauty of X-Sim!

On another note, this simulator, while a beautiful demo unit, isn't very practical, and I suspect that any production versions will be quite different. Take for example the display stand. They have a cutout for the light on the display. Not every display has a light in that location. Furthermore, it would cover the power button and the IR button on most displays, leaving no way to turn the displays on and off. ;)

Without going into too much detail, this simulator also lacks focus on the concept of proprioception, the key to any real driver training via simulation. I will say that it is rather pretty though, and the graphics quality of the Forza / X-Box combo is top rate. I am working now to create an X-Box compatible version of the Sender for X-Sim although this is a few months off.
  4. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That motion system is a ForceDynamics system custom built for that show. It ran off of a development Xbox 360 that was set to output C++ to the motion system.
  5. Les

Les New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When you say you are working on an Xbox compatible version of the Sender, does that mean if I had working hardware that was compatible with X-SIM I would get motion from all Xbox360 racing games or will it be dependant on extra software/hardware for this to work, I could build the hardware but I have no software knowledge. I have always liked racing games and the Xbox360 makes gaming easy. I would consider moving to a PC for my gaming but I would prefer to stay with the XBox360.
  6. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    It means that if all goes well, a Force Sender like application will run on the X-Box, but will output its data to a PC that is running the Force Profiler and is connected to the actuators. There is an interesting matter of licensing and the fact that any non-microsoft API is considered illegal. However, Microsoft has added MMF support to the latest .Net Framework, which will translate into MMF support on the X-Box eventually.
  7. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If all goes well Does this mean you have already developed an executable API that will interface with the XBOX OS and capture those instructions? or will it reside on the XBOX hard drive?

Thanks
  8. Les

Les New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds interesting, do you have a rough timescale?
  9. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    If my many other projects go smoothly, then I should have completed the proof of concept phase in 3 months. I will not be making use of any non-Microsoft API's if at all possible due to licensing restrictions. If the MIcrosoft API is too limiting, then I am aware of another API that will do the job, but technically, it isn't legal to use, therefore any such project would be open source and use at your own risk. I'm hoping to gather some support from Microsoft and fill in the API blanks in a legitimate fashion.