1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Whaha electrical wha wha noise from PSU that goes away when starting SMC app but come back on psu rs

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Trigen, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hey guys

I was spray painting my chair and psu etc and a tiny bit of spray managed to sneak into the PSU trough the fan hole which i seem to have left 2 mm open... After that it made a humming noise and vibrated a bit. I cleaned it up and 95% fine. Now when i start it i will get a humming noise that increases with amp draw. But the odd thing is when i start the SMC3 app it will instantly stop and its completely fine until i restart it again. Any idea why? Ive tried changing some pwn stuff around just to see but its doubtful that's the issue. Well really i have no clue. '

Any insights would be awesome.

Its a bit hard to hear on this video but its going whawhawhawha
  2. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    It is possible that paint has entered the propeller of the fan and has been decompensated in the rotation, when a propeller decompensates it generates vibration, but if afterwards you say that it disappears it makes me doubt
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If it was the fan i would have noticed it right away. Definitely something electrical 3/5th down the psu. I just cant imagine why it would stop instantly like that with SMC app and continue to stay like that. Gotta be some signal of some kind that makes a capacitor vibrate that the SMC stops. Something along those lines anyhow. Oddly it comes back on after a restart. Could have something to do with the Sabertooth too but that was nowhere near any spray

There's also the possibility that the noise is from the motors as they are mounted quite close but its really hard to tell. Either way something is generating it and it happened after the spray incident
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  4. zapata_h

zapata_h Active Member

Industrial Maintenance Manager
    Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    Then it will be hard to find what is causing the problem, do you have another source to test and discard the saber tooth?
  5. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sorry for the late reply. Ive been experimenting a bit and it has to do with the Fpid. If i set it to 1-2 its fine. 3++ where i need it, it will start making this noise. But why does it stop when SMC is turned on? Thats the big question